Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What data should I be looking to double check based on the 2021 carry over issue email that turbo tax sent out?

Email was sent out as a critical notice about a possible error on info carried over to 2020 returns being doubled? Do we know what items to be double checking?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

What data should I be looking to double check based on the 2021 carry over issue email that turbo tax sent out?

That FAQ says absolutely nothing about what the issue is or what to look for.

When you are done amending the return following all the instructions in this link then if the bottom line changes you need to file the amended return ... if nothing changes then you have your answer. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amend-tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return-to-fix-the-turbotax...

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. If you paid nothing already then this line should be zero.

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.  If you have not received your refund yet then you need to wait for it.  If the refund changes from what you expected then this line must reflect that change.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

Well, TurboTax, that's pretty poor customer service.

Based on that approach,

every filer using TurboTax, i.e. millions, will now have to figure how to do an amendment.

If you log in and click on the amendment process as directed and follow the screen instructions the program will walk you thru the entire process.  If you need help contact TT support :     https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-contact-turbotax/00/26991

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies