turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cdpomeroy

We are 69 and sold our vacation home in Florida. Do we have to pay income taxes on our profit?

We owned this property for 7 years.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We are 69 and sold our vacation home in Florida. Do we have to pay income taxes on our profit?

@cdpomeroy wrote:

I was under the assumption that once you were a senior citizen, you didn’t have to pay taxes on profit even though you report it?

I believe you are thinking of the "over-55 home sale exemption". However, that was repealed and replaced in 1997.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

"Do we have to pay income taxes on our profit?"

Not to the State of Florida since Florida does not levy an individual income tax.

However, you must report the transaction on your federal income tax return (Form 1040) as well as, most likely, the income tax return for your state of residency.

cdpomeroy

I was under the assumption that once you were a senior citizen, you didn’t have to pay taxes on profit even though you report it?

cdpomeroy

Ty

@cdpomeroy wrote:

I believe you are thinking of the "over-55 home sale exemption". However, that was repealed and replaced in 1997.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies