turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Vintage Dishes

I have a large collection of assorted vintage dishes that I would like to donate to a local non-profit thrift store.   Many of these are listed at $5 to $10 each on Ebay and/Etsy.      Am I able to use that value for the amount of each item?   I have printed supporting documentation for my personal records.  

Thank you for your help! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Vintage Dishes

Valuing non-cash charitable contributions can be a bit complicated.  The taxpayer must determine the fair market value (FMV) of the items based on comparable sales (not necessarily asking price).  You may want to research what these items are actually selling for.

The total of your donation amount also matters.  If you are donating dishes valuing over $5,000 (not likely), you'll need a certified appraisal of those items to support your donation amount.

Be sure you get a receipt for your items from the organization, and make sure the organization is a qualified charitable organization.  Only donations made to qualified charitable organizations are deductible.

For more information, please see the linked IRS Publication 561, which explains in detail.  

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p561.pdf

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies