turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

gamagesa

Very Large increase in 2018 Taxes

Something is incorrect with "inability to claim" a 17 year old.  I claim my 19 year old as a dependent.  It depends on whether you provide more than 50% support for that person.  Nothing to do with age unless you are referring to the child credit.  That is different and is capped by age.

there are TWO Credits (but no deductions or exemptions)

1) Child Tax Credit - up to $2000 for qualifying dependent children who are under the age of 17 on Dec 31, 2018

2)Credit for Other dependents - up to $500 - Children over the age of 16  could quality for this one (also covers others people living in your home if they meet all the tests)

Turbo Tax will ask a number of questions and ensure that the right credit is applied for your specific situation

It's really better to have as little taken out as possible. Calculate what you are going to owe each year and get as close to that as possible so you don't have much coming out. You will have a smaller return but all you have more money throughout the year, if that money is sitting in a bank collecting interest it will be doing you better than going to your taxes to overpay and collect a bigger return each year. If you have a lot coming out of your check each pay period and then end up falling short on bills one month and have to get and loan you are just wasting money that you could have possibly saved by not having to get a loan at all and not having to pay interest on a loan because you have that extra money and don't need to get the loan, if that makes any sense.

I am in the same boat, usually get $3k back, now owe $10.  It was driving me crazy for hours! It showed a reduction of about $15k in federal deductions when you click on why do I owe.  But it shows 2017-2018 as being relatively the same at review.  Reviewed everything, and upon relooking at mortgage interest paid, a window pops up saying that the law giving you credit for mortgage interest paid is UNDER REVIEW.  And that it may affect your return!  Lets hope so, I think that is the difference being seen, we are not actually getting that deduction for mortgage interest yet.  Saved and will review later...fingers crossed that's the problem

So you have a home, no kids, dual income, and are able to put a significant amount of money towards your retirement? Your life sounds tough... Your lifestyle is actually why you got hit so hard. Think about what the new tax laws are. The standard deduction rocketed up to $24k, but a lot of itemized deductions went away. The child tax credit was quadrupled. What that means is: low income families who don't have squat to deduct anyway (not even a house for property tax deduction) got a huge break because suddenly the first $24k they earn is tax free. On top of that, they have to pay for kids, but now the government is tossing them $2k per kid, which, believe me, doesn't come close to covering a kid for a year, but it helps.
Well, who is going to fund all that help? Short answer: you. People with higher income, homes, savings, no kids, and just generally easy financial lives are the ones helping out. So be grateful that you get to do something like put lots of your money into savings because you don't need it, and don't complain when society asks you to pitch in.
That being said, if you really wanted to, you could avoid your taxes by starting a business and/or looking for tax credit opportunities. For instance, I put solar panels on my roof while Obama was offering a 30% tax credit for it. 30%???! The government owed me so much money that it took them 4 years worth of tax returns to finally finish giving it to me. I raised the value of my home by $10k, and the power company cuts me checks every now and then. But if you do nothing to help yourself and are classified as having disposable income, then yes, you're forking over some cash to Uncle Sam.
rosenbaum

yes it's because you cannot deduct yourself anymore.

Vin

I got the same message for Tuition and Fees.    THIS SUCKS! We owe more than I have ever owed and nothing that I entered as credits or deductions reduced the amount owed... Mortgage or Tuition, zero credit... 

I have same thing happening right now and im floored. Last year $2k refund and this year so far a $4k owed. I am not able to take American opportunity credit for two boys and don't think I'm not sure I'm getting mortgage interest either compared to last year, I'm at loss as to how I can even begin to reconcile this as I did not prepare for outcome, doesn't look like there is anything else I can do to help
taxgirl

This is due to the withholding tables and W-4's not being adjusted for tax reform. Most people this year will find out they were under withheld if they did not update their withholding throughout the year. This should be fixed for 2019. 

There have been many articles saying this could happen to millions of people this year some people didn't review and change there with holdings we also lost some tax breaks 

So in the end I lost alot of credits and deductions I was getting from itemized deductions previous years to the tune of about 7k... education credits, mortgage interest (live in CA), and withholding not changed seems to be the biggest factors

You can claim all the deductions you had last year, however, if it is not over 12,000, 18,000 or 24,000 this depends on your filing status, then these deductions wouldn't help you.  Their are 2 areas where people are getting slammed.  One is if you didn't have enough taxes withheld from your paycheck's, review your withholding and adjust them for this year.  The second is if you were claiming a lot of exemptions.  Since exemptions were suspendid for 2018 you could be above your taxable income from 2017.

Make sure you enter all your deductions if you live in a state that hasn't changed their tax code as they will be used to offset your state taxes taxe. California is one of the states that didn't change their codes. If these deductions didn't carry over to California in TurboTax make sure their support knows about it.

Eventide

They didn't hold out as much of your check every week like they did before. You got your money every week not during tax time. Do the math its on your bring home pay. You want a tax return savings account have them take out more aka claim zero at work then claim all your dependants on your tax return.
LASinNC

I am seeing the same thing.  My husband and I made less money this year because of a job change.  Went from receiving a $3000 refund to owing $3000.  I am in shock!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies