turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Upgraded and all work lost

First time user of Turbotax.  Was 1.5 hours in and the software suggested I upgrade from Deluxe to Premier for additional itemization. I hit yes and the upgrade happened. When the software relaunched all my work was lost.  I found the only .tax file on my Mac and it was empty.  Any suggestions on how to get my work back?  From what I have read, I should have been saving my work, I guess I figured that in 2020 software would be autosaving. Any ideas or is this just a really annoying learning experience?  It stings that as part of my $30 upgrade I lost all that work...  Thanks for any suggestions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies

@Canaveral wrote:

First time user of Turbotax.  Was 1.5 hours in and the software suggested I upgrade from Deluxe to Premier for additional itemization. I hit yes and the upgrade happened. When the software relaunched all my work was lost.  I found the only .tax file on my Mac and it was empty.  Any suggestions on how to get my work back?  From what I have read, I should have been saving my work, I guess I figured that in 2020 software would be autosaving. Any ideas or is this just a really annoying learning experience?  It stings that as part of my $30 upgrade I lost all that work...  Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm not sure what you meant by "additional itemization."   If you are using desktop software (CD/download), the Deluxe and Premier editions both prepare the same forms.  They differ only in the amount of help and guidance.  Premier has more help/guidance with investments (stocks, bonds, mutual funds) and rental/royalty property.  

"I found the only .tax file on my Mac and it was empty."

I'm not sure what that means.   Is that a file ending in *.tax2019?   Had you never saved a copy of the *.tax2019 file you had been working on?  i.e., was that 1.5 hours the first and only session you've had?

I don't use a Mac, so I can't comment much on your issue.  You may get some comments in this thread, but in the meantime, I'm going to ask someone using a Mac to assist you when they are next around.

@macuser_22  Are you please able to assist here when you are next in the forum?  Thanks.

When I'm working on my return, I occasionally save during the session.  And after every session I copy the *.tax2019 data file to a flash drive--just in case--since I've seen some horror stories over the years of using this forum.  Luckily, since I've been doing that, I've never lost the data file, but it feels good to know I have a back up.   Hopefully, macuser_22 or another Mac user may be able to suggest something for your situation.

If you are using the desktop version then TurboTax will always ask if you want to save the tax return before quitting.   If you say yes then it will ask for a password if you want to protect the file.  If you say no then it will quit and all data will be lost.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Is the desktop version.  Did not ask if I wanted to save. Live and learn.  Thanks for info.  I guess doing an upgrade in the midst of first time use is a situation where info can be lost if one has not done a save previously.  Still seems antiquated that it would not be autosaving...

Thanks.  Yes, I was prompted to upgrade for additional info on rental property.  Could have been worse, I might have been close to finished as opposed to 1.5 hours in.  But, as I mentioned elsewhere, it seems ridiculous to me that something as laborious and time-consuming as tax preparation software is not autosaving from the moment you hit the first key. I mean, Intuit, just autosave it and call it "draft" until the user clicks to mark it "final." 

Onward...

Thanks again.

TurboTax does not need to autosave because autosave is a Apple Mac built in feature unless you have disabled in in system preferences.

If the indicated box is not checked then any document that changed (including the .tax2019 data file)  will be saved before closing unless the close was abnormal (a crash, force quit, etc).

Checking the box disables that.

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 8.02.53 AM.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

In that case, I guess there was a glitch during the upgrade.  I should have known better. My eyes were already glassed over from looking through tax documents...

Thanks for the help.

Completed my taxes in February but held off on electronic filing with the COVID filing extension to July 2020 since we owe. 

Using Turbo Tax Premier 2019 and trying to import a PDF of my completed 2019 taxes and the file (disk purchased from Costco 2019), will not import. I have completed the online updates and it seems to have wiped the memory of completing my taxes previously. I would like to file the taxes electronically instead of printing out and mailing the PDF with documents to the IRS. I am not going to re-enter my info and start my taxes over. HELP!!!

What do you mean import a pdf?  You need the .tax2019 file to open in the program.  Are you on Windows or Mac?  Does your program start ok?  Then what happens when you go to File-Open?  You can't find your return?

The 2019 TurboTax Premier program won't allow me to import the .tax2019 or PDF file of my 2019 taxes that I completed in the program I purchased via hard disk in February. When I did the online update when opening the program today, it seems to have wiped all my previous data and it wants me to start fresh. 

I completed the taxes, have the files, just can't import them to e-file. I'm on a Windows PC. When I try to import the PDF it says it can't use the file. When I browse for the .tax2019 file and find it, it does nothing and doesn't import it.

Thanks for your response.

I don't know what you are trying to do but you do not import it.  You just OPEN the file.  Importing or transferring means to transfer a 2018 return in to start a new 2019 return.  Go up to FILE - OPEN.  Does  your 2019 return show up in the box?  

Yes, I figured it out doing the Open File instead of Import File. Thanks for your advice.

can I get my work back?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.

You will need to open the tax date file saved on your local computer.

Finding your tax file

Tax file vs PDF file

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Clara4
Returning Member

I don't know if my taxes have been filed or not.  Didn't get a copy need one .  I know you got paid. It that is all I have found.  Please help

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies