turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nef
Level 1

Updates for 2019 TurboTax software

Hi, I'm using TurboTax Home and Business for 2019. A couple of updates have been installed so far; the links for "more details" goes to https://ttlc.intuit.com/articles/4784576 which basically says support has moved. I like to keep track of which forms have been updated. There is not an obvious place to get this information when following the new support links (I'm vaguely recalling previous years had a page showing all release updates to the software, and what was included in each release.

Please update the link that's used in the software updates reporting!

In the meantime, where can I find update release details for Home and Business 2019?  (specific forms, etc.)
Thanks! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

Sorry, but the release notes for the updates have been discontinued.

How do we know when forms are finalized?

@Bob58 wrote:

How do we know when forms are finalized?

See this TurboTax website - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

Ok, thank you, but that just says the forms are "available", is that the equivalent of finalized like you could find in the past?

@Bob58 wrote:

Ok, thank you, but that just says the forms are "available", is that the equivalent of finalized like you could find in the past?

As far as I know, "available" means "finalized", or "available" to file (either print or e-file).

Best available evidence suggests the forms are NEVER finalized.  They're just current to that point in time.  But go ahead and file!  What could possibly go wrong.

@FranklynotFrank wrote:

Best available evidence suggests the forms are NEVER finalized.  They're just current to that point in time.  But go ahead and file!  What could possibly go wrong.

The exact reason I would not recommend that anyone file too early in the season. In fact, it makes more sense to wait as long as possible. If a large refund is due, withholding (or estimated payments) should be adjusted.

Why not just fix the program so it points to the right place on the web site?

@catonyx wrote:

Why not just fix the program so it points to the right place on the web site?

There is no right place; the release notes are not available on any web site.

Let just call this a blatant bug and get it fixed whether the fix in the TurboTax or the web site. It is a ridiculous thing.

Adding my agreement (and complaint) to the many already expressed on this forum.  User of TT for over 25 years and I want those details back.  When it says "Critical update", I want to read the details so I can tell if it impacts my taxes or not.  I also don't believe an automated email is better.  Someone at TT made the business decision to discontinue providing those details.  They need to LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS and reverse that decision. 

Sorry.  The many complaints already expressed are in a different string.  I don't have ability to reply to that string so I'm presuming that has been closed for additional comments.  But the overwhelming feedback is to bring back those release notes.   https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/updates/00/978207

I have the same experience as JGinIA, the thread that the link points to isn't allowing any additional replies.  Many posts complain about the discontinuation of release notes, and I fully agree.  I've been a professional software developer for 35 years, and a standard practice of development is to track what needs to be changed and why (bug fix, enhancement, etc.) and record information on development, testing and the closing of the development item.  Standard practice too is to put this information into release notes.  If TT is not actually doing this, they don't have control over what changes are being made, and have a higher risk of introducing new/additional bug when making their development changes, and not being able to track why.  Once the development details are done, Release Notes summaries are standard practice as well, which is what we, as paying customers of TT, are entitled to get.  It doesn't matter what development models TT uses, DevOps, sprints, storyboards, subject matter expert developers, etc., release notes are something that need to be done, and we need to have them available to us.

This is beyond disappointing!  TurboTax tells me on 3/12/2020 that there are "critical" updates to install and won't tell me what they are?  I've been using it since forever, but maybe I need to change to a product that still provides support to its users.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies