turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Update Available - Looping Error

When attempting to e-file I received the message "There is an update available for your version of TurboTax. Before you file electronically, you'll need to get this update. To do this go to the Online menu and select Check for Updates." When I follow the onscreen instructions and check for updates I get the message that my system is "up to date". However, I cannot e-file and keep getting the same "update available" message as stated above. I've tried multiple times with the same result. 

How do I get past this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I would suggest you exit out of the program, wait for a few minutes and try again. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, but no help

lynmoore
Returning Member

When will Turbo Tax have a update available for need repair? This is your problem! Fix It!

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@lynmoore If it is a state update loop, please try the following procedure below

State install/e-file update loop: state not installed after installation or TurboTax needs to update...

For further assistance with this, you can call TurboTax and speak with an agent.  TurboTax customer service/support does not have a single phone number but has many different phone numbers based on the type of platform used.  So that we can direct your call to the best person/department to help you:

1. Click on this link: Contact Us
  2. Select your TurboTax platform.  
  3. Ask your question / state your problem.  Do NOT use the word "refund' or you will get a phone number for tax refunds.
  4. Click Submit.
  5. On the next screen, choose the Call option and follow the instructions.  You will be given the approximate wait time.  

You'll get a toll-free number to a TurboTax expert who is specially-trained to handle your particular issue.

"Irene2805 Employee Tax Expert"

:

DJV1
Returning Member

FAST FORWARD TO 2021, for tax year 2020........... same issue

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

If you're using the TurboTax CD/Download, you may experience an issue where your state is already downloaded but not showing as installed.  When you try to download your state, you get a message that Your software is up to date with the state product never installing and you're caught in a loop. You could also be prompted to update prior to e-filing and getting a message that says You're up to date.

Resolution

To resolve, close TurboTax and then:

1. Download the TTStateCleanup.zip file and save it to your Desktop or other easy-to-find location.
  2. Double-click to open the zip folder.
  3. Extract the contents of the folder to your desktop and open the extracted folder.
  4. Right-click the downloaded file (TTCleanStates.exe) and select Run as Administrator.
  5. Select your version (Personal or Business).
  6. Select your state from the drop-down menu and choose Remove (if you're having problems with multiple states, choose Remove all States).
  7. Once the tool finishes removing the state return(s), close it and reopen TurboTax.
  8. Follow the prompts to update TurboTax at the prompt. It should start downloading your state.
    • If it doesn't, click the State Taxes tab and download it from there.

Please click State install/e-file update loop to learn more if the fix fails. 

einalem4321
Returning Member

e-filing from Turbotax today has been difficult for me as well.  I see a lot of "looping" going on.  I have been on my wits-end just by filing our tax return this year using Turbotax. 

I suggest for you to go to the Federal section (left side of screen) where you input your w2s.  Find the one that shows 1099. Delete any 'blank' data as their system (for some reason, this year) seems to add 'blank' stuff. 

Once you've deleted the "blanks", go through the usual process until it reached the State Review and if does the "loop" again. Go back to the Federal section and delete anything from w2 section or 1099 section that are 'blanks'. Then click State (left side) and select State Review (top right) then Run Smart Check.

This will go smoothly from here on.  

The issue with mine was when I reached State Review, I had to review 10 items and when I clicked on each of them they all blank or duplicates of w2s that was auto-uploaded from the start.  So weird. 

Good luck and hopefully this will help you file your tax return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies