turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment

I received unemployment benefits and I filed them on my taxes this year. But I didn’t receive unemployment relief. I was wondering why? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Michele_H
Employee Tax Expert

Unemployment

Hi @Kendrickcpr 

First, you'll want to review your return and confirm you included the unemployment compensation on your tax return. It would appear on your 2020 Schedule 1 Line 7.  If you didn't include the information there, you may need to file an amended return.   If this was included, the link listed below will help you determine if you need to file an amendment for a different reason.

Copy and Paste this link in your browser:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-continues-unemployment-compensation-adjustments-prepares-another-1-...

The IRS has said that payments will continue "throughout the summer," which means that unless we hear something else, payments could continue through September 22nd.  

Here is some information that may help you regarding payments for additional refund due:
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...
https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/am-i-eligible-for-the-new-unemployment-income-relief-49427...

If the reduction in taxable income did not result in additional refund due for all taxpayers. If you need help determining if you should be receiving extra funds, do not hesitate to reach out to our Live Help from your TurboTax home screen! One of our agents can take a look at your return and help you determine how much you should be expecting to receive.

If you would like to contact the IRS about the status of your refund, you can try these instructions:
The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Unemployment

E7B2B625-81D9-4BDC-8577-FB43396F2C08.png

Michele_H
Employee Tax Expert

Unemployment

@Kendrickcpr Glad to see you have them on there, my advice would be to wait or try to get in contact with the IRS on the refund amount by following the steps listed above.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies