turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment tax relief

I filed my taxes (single not itemized) March 11 but was not aware of the 10,200 unemployment credit that went into effect right at that time. I have not received a refund or any notice from IRS that it is coming. Wondering if my return might have slipped through a crack because of timing. Should I go ahead and file an amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SoCalGal21
Employee Tax Expert

Unemployment tax relief

Hi  Jaforward! 

You can double check the IRS math on your return, the untaxed unemployment will be correct in the return now.  You can select getting a .pdf copy of your return to look at that. 

You can also setup an IRS account here:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-online-account-can-help-taxpayers-get-ready-to-file-their-tax-retur...

You can go to your 2020 Account Transcript to see if the IRS has processed the return with the untaxed unemployment on it. 

You can view any payments sent out by the IRS here, adjustments to your tax return, etc.

There have been delays with some of these payments.  But if it shows here that the IRS has sent out the refund and you haven't received it, there are directions to get it resent here:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-first-economic-impact-payment-topic-f-p...

If you still think there is something wrong with your return, contact TurboTax Live Support to look at your return with you.   Let me know if this answers  your question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Unemployment tax relief

I know I will be getting $2300 additional return based on what Turbo tax shows. I have checked the transcript on IRS and it shows no action since the first filing - that is why I am asking if I should go ahead and file the amended return to push it through quicker.

SoCalGal21
Employee Tax Expert

Unemployment tax relief

Hi 

I'm still not sure when you filed your return.  I suggest this for getting a real person at the IRS to talk with about the delay:

Suggestions for Contacting the IRSThe IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies