turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

suz13q
Returning Member

Unemployment Tax Refund

I believe I am entitled to a refund of the taxes (both state and federal) that I paid on unemployment income for 2020.  I have yet to recieve any refund.  I have tried to call the IRS to get more information and have not even been able to speak with a person.  Can you verify that I should be getting refunds and also let me know how to go about either checking on the status or getting the process started?  Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrenaS
Employee Tax Expert

Unemployment Tax Refund

If you filed your 2020 tax return before the American Rescue Plan Act was passed on March 11, 2021 you would be entitled to a refund of the federal tax paid on the first $10,200 of unemployment income, if your household income was less than $150,000.  Not all states adopted the federal exemption of tax up to $10,200 of unemployment income.  Initially, there were 13 states not waiving taxes on unemployment income:  Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, North Carolina, New York, Rhode Island, South Carolina, West Virginia.

If you have not yet received your adjusted refund amount, and are unable to reach the IRS directly, you may try contacting your local Taxpayer Advocate Office for assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
suz13q
Returning Member

Unemployment Tax Refund

Yes.  All of those things apply.  My household income was less than $150,000. Massachusetts later changed and will be waiving the taxes.  I earned $3437 toal for unemployment. I paid $141 state tax on unemployment and $281 Federal.  I have not seen either of these refunds.  Also, after filing, I owed $132 federal and $96 state.  Shouldn't I receive those back as well?  Our total taxable income was stated as $101,946, but inculded my taxed unemployment income.  So I feel I should not only be getting a refund on the unemployment taxes, but also on what I paid back (owed).  How do I know if all of these things are being corrected and properly calculated, and when I will be refunded?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies