turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jen6213

(Unemployment compensation taxes) Forgot to file them on my taxes.No Federal or anything was withheld would i still have to file a 1099g?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

(Unemployment compensation taxes) Forgot to file them on my taxes.No Federal or anything was withheld would i still have to file a 1099g?

Your unemployment compensation should have been included on your tax return.  That is taxable income and could affect your tax due or refund.  If you already e-filed without it and your return has been accepted, you have to wait for it to be fully processed and then amend your tax return.

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return

A 1040X cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed and mailed.  It will take about 4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  It is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, like UPS or certified mail, so you will know it was received.

Wait about 3 weeks from mailing and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3318997-how-does-the-refund-math-work-on-amendments

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Josj
Returning Member

Any update 

@Josj Update on what?   This thread has a question about what to do if unemployment had not been entered on a filed return.  Do you have more questions about that?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Josj
Returning Member

I forgot to file it I’m seeing if anyone got there return that forgot

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Yes, 1099G income is taxable. You should report it to the IRS. 

If you have already submitted your tax return, you will have to wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects your return. You cannot return to the program to make any changes before that. 

If your return got rejected for whatever reasons, you can return to the program to add 1099-G along with other changes.  You do not need an amendment 1040-X.

If your return has been accepted, you will have to amend your return by filing a form 1040X.  You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.

Beginning with the 2019 tax year, you can e-file amended tax returns. If you used TurboTax to prepare Form 1040-X, follow the software's instructions to e-file the amendment.

To see how to amend your taxes, click here: 

Steps to amend in TurboTax

How to file amendment

You will receive a Form 1099G when you either collect a state tax refund or unemployment.  Unemployment compensation amount will show on line 8 of your Form 1040.  State tax refund will show on line 1 of your Schedule 1 which will also carry over to line 8 of your Form 1040.

@jen6213

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies