turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment amended tax return

Good Afternoon,

My name is Joana Vidia and I filed my taxes in February before the care act took effect in March. I also received an email from you guys saying I have nothing to do. My question is am I receiving a return back for last year’s unemployment tax deduction? If so do I have to amend my return? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Michele_H
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @Jojo1411 

First, you'll want to review your return and confirm you included the unemployment compensation on your tax return. It would appear on your 2020 Schedule 1 Line 7.  If you didn't include the information there, you may need to file an amended return.   If this was included, the link listed below will help you determine if you need to file an amendment for a different reason.

Copy and Paste this link in your browser:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-continues-unemployment-compensation-adjustments-prepares-another-1-...

The IRS has said that payments will continue "throughout the summer," which means that unless we hear something else, payments could continue through September 22nd.  

Here is some information that may help you regarding payments for additional refund due:
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...
https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/am-i-eligible-for-the-new-unemployment-income-relief-49427...

If the reduction in taxable income did not result in additional refund due for all taxpayers. If you need help determining if you should be receiving extra funds, do not hesitate to reach out to our Live Help from your TurboTax home screen! One of our agents can take a look at your return and help you determine how much you should be expecting to receive.

If you would like to contact the IRS about the status of your refund, you can try these instructions:
The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ReneeTAXEA1
Expert Alumni

Thank you for contacting TurboTax Live!  And Thank You for your Question!!!  We are pleased to provide you with options and suggestions to resolve your Question!!!

We see that you file your tax returns in February of 2021, prior to the American Rescue Plan - before that ARP and Care Act, which took effect in March of 2021.   You stated that also received an email from TurboTax Live! that there was nothing else to do on your part.   With regard to your question if you will receive an additional tax refund for the unemployment income adjustment? And - If so do you have to amend your tax returns? We checked on that for you - and learned from our TurboTax Live! Resources, the following:

How will I receive my additional unemployment refund amount from the IRS? 

The IRS will issue refunds resulting from this unemployment income relief by direct deposit for taxpayers who provided bank account information on their 2020 tax return. 

If valid bank account information is not available, the refund will be mailed as a paper check to the address of record. The IRS will continue to send refunds until all identified tax returns have been reviewed and adjusted.

These refunds are subject to normal offset rules such as past-due federal tax, state income tax, state unemployment compensation debts, child support, spousal support or student loans. The IRS will send a separate notice to the taxpayer if the refund is offset to pay unpaid debts.

How do I know if I am now eligible for additional deductions and credits, and what do I do to get them?

It’s a bit tricky.

The IRS will adjust your return and the amounts for any deductions and credits you claimed on it. For example, say you claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) on your return. And because the new unemployment exclusion changed your income level, you would now be eligible for an increase in EITC amount. The IRS would adjust your return for you and send you the additional refund amount with your additional unemployment benefits. You are all set.

The IRS is also making corrections to Earned Income Tax CreditPremium Tax Credit and the Recovery Rebate Credit since taxpayers may be eligible for these credits with the $10,200 income exclusion.

However, say you were not originally eligible for the EITC on your return, but now, because the exclusion changed your income, you are eligible for the EITC. You may need to amend your return to claim that new credit based on your tax situation:

• The IRS can adjust tax returns for those who are single with no children and the exclusion makes them eligible for EITC.  
  • Taxpayers who have qualifying children and become eligible for any new benefits once the exclusion is calculated may have to file an amended tax return to claim new benefits.

If you chose not to amend your return, you’d only get the additional unemployment benefits automatically from the IRS and would miss out on additional money you’d be eligible for. 

The IRS can also adjust tax returns that already include EITC and qualifying children. If you filed with TurboTax, check your inbox. We sent you an email to help you understand how all this affects you and with instructions on what to do.

Here is our link with additional details and resources to resolve your question!!

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/am-i-eligible-for-the-new-unemployment-income-relief-49427...

Thanks again for your question, and for choosing TurboTax Live!

Hello, can you help me and tell me if I am due a refund for unemployment?

Michele_H
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @Jojo1411 , we can assist you with this if you can set up a call with Turbo Tax live and your return was prepared through Turbo Tax.  If you want to check and see on your own you can do an amend and see if you qualify for any of the credits that may not have gotten reported on the original return.

Bootylicious2020
Returning Member

Hello I amended my state taxes I did owe but now i dont it said to print my papers off an send them in the mail ive tried printing them off I cant an i dunno what else to do can you help me????

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies