turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year 2020: TurboTax Updates on Unemployment Tax Relief

It depends what state you are in.  My state was updated on April 2 to reflect the unemployment benefits exemption. Unfortunately NC decided to not follow the federal forms and is taxing entire unemployment received.  Other states have not decided yet. Just sign in to TurboTax everyday to see if the state you live in has been updated.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

What state(s) are you referring to?

@Jones0802

Jones0802

Maryland. Not ready yet. Tried to file federal and skip state but the website doesn’t actually allow you to skip state. So now I’m stuck with not filing either. Oh and already got charged! 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Please see the following TurboTax Help article:  How is my state taxing unemployment income?

It contains the latest information on how unemployment will be taxed in your state and whether our calculations currently support the way unemployment income is treated.

weilu2018
Returning Member

I used online software on 4/3/21, it seems still not correct, even more high number than other online provider.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

The federal return in TurboTax has been updated with the changes in unemployment benefits.  

Please see the following TurboTax Help article:  How is my state taxing unemployment income?

It contains the latest information on how unemployment will be taxed in your state and whether our calculations currently support the way unemployment income is treated.

Jones0802

I’m aware federal is ready. Cannot file that without filing state. Website does not allow it like it says.

@Jones0802 wrote:

I’m aware federal is ready. Cannot file that without filing state. Website does not allow it like it says.

In the File section of the program on Step 3 you can change how the state tax return is filed.

E-File Mail.JPG

E-File Mail 1.JPG

E-File Mail 2.JPG

E-File Mail 3.JPG

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

TurboTax calculations have not been updated for Maryland. If you haven’t filed your return, you can either:

• Wait for TurboTax to be updated with your state changes, or
  • File your return now and potentially amend later if they do not follow the federal guidelines.

You can e-file your federal return now and then e-file your MD return once the federal return has been accepted.

@Jones0802

Buddog-1
Returning Member

My thinking is that Maryland utilizes Federal AGI as the starting point.  I am assuming that there will be no need to amend.  

mnosty

I am still having an issue with the federal unemployment update. it is not updating when signed on, or if i go back thru the income section. Anyway to manually update ?

AbbyC

Turbo Tax not updated yet wi the Unemployment tax relief.  When will that happen?  

09AP21

Thanks

It has been update for a couple of weeks now. I ended up removing the software and reloading it and then it worked just fine.

The Desktop program was updated on March 26.  Try updating your program.  How to update

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/how-do-i-update-turbotax-cd-download/00/26038

If updating doesn't help then delete the 1099G and re enter it.

I am still waiting for the online version of Turbotax to be updated to reflect the American Rescue Plan. It has not been as of 4-10-2021.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies