turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EH

Does Premier included 1 free state e-file? I pay for a 2nd state I am being ask to pay 29.99 for each e-file, didn't the 44.99 included the e-file and should one be free?

Premier has one state does it include the e-file?

I bought a second state does it include the e-file?

Why is asking for 29.99 for each state, when the box says 19.99 to file up to 5 state, in the past I believe I file one state free and paid for my sons only.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Does Premier included 1 free state e-file? I pay for a 2nd state I am being ask to pay 29.99 for each e-file, didn't the 44.99 included the e-file and should one be free?

TurboTax Premier includes one free state download, the e-file fee is separate. 

You can file up to 5 state return via e-file but there would an e-file fee applied for each state return. You can avoid the e-file fee by sending the state return in the mail. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bob280

Yea, dowloading and e-filing are 2 seperate things, forgot that . . . .

Barb37
Returning Member

I am trying to do my state refund, when i click it start, I get a box that pops up and tells me that I need to install my state, I click ok, I get the box and tells me it's updated. When i click ok and then start again to do them, nothing happens. Ive exited out and opened it back up and no luck. I have the Premier, do I have to pay the $44.99 when its suppose to be included?

@Barb37  
 wrote:

I am trying to do my state refund, when i click it start, I get a box that pops up and tells me that I need to install my state, I click ok, I get the box and tells me it's updated. When i click ok and then start again to do them, nothing happens. Ive exited out and opened it back up and no luck. I have the Premier, do I have to pay the $44.99 when its suppose to be included?

You do not have to pay extra for the first state program.  It comes included with Premier.  There is a 24.99 fee to efile the state return (except free for New York state), but that's something entirely different.   You do NOT have to pay the 44.99 for the state program.

First see if simply rebooting (restarting) your computer it and relaunching TurboTax resolves it.  

If that didn't change anything, then if you are using the Windows version, see if this download-install state loop is what you are experiencing:

FAQ:  State download-install-update loop

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/state-loop-indicates-turbotax-is-up-to-date-after-...

Johnsosr

Extremely confusing!  Never did I see an option to pay the extra $40 to file the state - instead it just gave me the "transmission didn't go through" error message when submitting.  Had to go through the hassle of deleting state and re-entering, not knowing if it would let me pay additional for state only.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You are commenting on a thread from last tax season, do you have a specific question we can assist you with?

@Johnsosr

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Johnsosr

It is resolved but It was very frustrating to file my taxes this year. I never saw an option to pay for the state and didn’t realize it wasn’t included.  When I submitted the federal and state it came back with an error message but it didn’t specify exactly what the issue was. I ended up having to delete my state return and re-enter it after I read some of the forum posts. 

wybieg02

How many free Federal filings does Premier offer?

@wybieg02 wrote:

How many free Federal filings does Premier offer?

The Premier desktop CD/Download edition includes 5 free federal e-files.  The state returns have an e-file charge of $25 for each state return e-filed.  This charge can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies