turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax is telling me I can’t file my refund because of my QTP. it is saying that there was a new law recently passed by congress. What does this mean? And when can i file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is telling me I can’t file my refund because of my QTP. it is saying that there was a new law recently passed by congress. What does this mean? And when can i file?

Can you provide additional information?  Are you the beneficiary or owner of the QTP?  Can you provide the exact language of the message you received from TurboTax Online?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Here is the language I am getting from TurboTax:

"Other Income Statement: Qualified tuition program distributions - Spouse - You can't file just yet due to a recent law passed by congress.  This means a better outcome for taxpayers like you who have taxable QTP distributions.  We can keep working on your tax return and we'll let you know when we can help you finish up you taxes."

The tax liability for the early distribution in my case is $8.  

LindaB1993
Expert Alumni

IRS has not finalized the QTP reporting for 2019 due to the recent Tax Reform updates that occurred in December 2019.  Once the updates are received, you will no longer get the error.  Please check again next week.  

The SECURE act, signed 12-20-19 allows 529 plan money to be used for student loan payments.  You may or may not be affected. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
waiter

Im a different user than the person originally submitting this but also being prevented from filing for the same reason (QTP related).   Any update on when this might be straightened out?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies