turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax is stating that I am unable to e-file my return because records indicate that I am not entitled to efile one or more formsets. Is there something I am missing?

I have paid for TurboTax Deluxe ($60) due to having an HSA tax break and I have the receipt. I have reviewed my taxes over and over again and I even wait6ed a few days before trying again. It has now been a full week and the deadline date is today.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax is stating that I am unable to e-file my return because records indicate that I am not entitled to efile one or more formsets. Is there something I am missing?

In another thread, a number of users have addressed their experiences with this formset issue. The main solution was to delete the state and re-add it (look for GabiU's comment at this TurboTax Community thread on page 2).

However, several of the users who were asked to pay for the state when they re-added the state, found out that they had only paid for the federal return and not the state, that is, when TurboTax asked them to pay, TurboTax only charged for the federal return, not the state. 

When the taxpayers paid for the state, then they were able to add it and the e-file went through just fine. See this TurboTax Community thread (3 pages).

I don't know what you have paid, but you can see what you owe by opening your tax return (I assume you are using the Online product). On the left, click on Tax Tools, then underneath it click on Tools. In the center, then click on the blue-green box that says "My Fees".

If you paid, say, $40 previously, this probably was only for the federal return, and another $40 is due for the state. (NOTE: this was from a month or more ago, more recent fees may have been larger).

I do not know why TurboTax apparently charged some taxpayers only for the federal return and not the federal and state, but deleting the state, re-adding it and paying for the state, allowed them to file the return without a problem.

Let us know if this works for you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

In another thread, a number of users have addressed their experiences with this formset issue. The main solution was to delete the state and re-add it (look for GabiU's comment at this TurboTax Community thread on page 2).

However, several of the users who were asked to pay for the state when they re-added the state, found out that they had only paid for the federal return and not the state, that is, when TurboTax asked them to pay, TurboTax only charged for the federal return, not the state. 

When the taxpayers paid for the state, then they were able to add it and the e-file went through just fine. See this TurboTax Community thread (3 pages).

I don't know what you have paid, but you can see what you owe by opening your tax return (I assume you are using the Online product). On the left, click on Tax Tools, then underneath it click on Tools. In the center, then click on the blue-green box that says "My Fees".

If you paid, say, $40 previously, this probably was only for the federal return, and another $40 is due for the state. (NOTE: this was from a month or more ago, more recent fees may have been larger).

I do not know why TurboTax apparently charged some taxpayers only for the federal return and not the federal and state, but deleting the state, re-adding it and paying for the state, allowed them to file the return without a problem.

Let us know if this works for you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much for your help and your prompt reply. This was extremely helpful with a very frustrating situation. I tried contacting the support team and had been waiting for a full hour and a half meanwhile you had answered my question with plenty of information and I was able to complete my taxes, all while still waiting for support until I eventually just hung up.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies