turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax Glitch Detected! The pdf version of my 2020 tax return shows the incorrect zipcode format (without the hyphen). How to make sure it will be filed correctly?

I wanted to check my 2020 Tax return before filing and downloaded the pdf version after paying for Turbotax. An important note here: I have not filed my return yet! I just wanted to check everything before filing and downloaded the pdf file from the Print Center.

I noticed that the zip code box (On the first page of Form 1040's "Home Address" Section) shows that my state zipcode is formatted like the following format [social security number removed] rather than the accepted zipcode formats by IRS (either 5-digit or 9-digit format that is accepted by IRS -for example 12345 or [social security number removed]). So it somehow removes the hyphen and combines all 9 digits in the pdf!

Then I went to Tools then selected View Tax Summary in the pop-up, then Preview my 1040 in the left menu. I noticed that the preview file shows the zipcode in the correct format just like the way I entered it in my Personal info section in Turbotax (It is correctly formatted as in the following 9 digit example [social security number removed]).

I also noticed that in 2020, IRS form 1040 separates State and Zipcode boxes unlike in 2019 where all this information was entered under the same box that said "city, town, state and zipcode" on form 1040 (2019). 

In the light of all these, I wonder if there is a glitch in Turbotax online system and it incorrectly transfers the zipcode to form 1040 by removing the hypenated part of the zip code, even though the zipcode is given correctly by the taxpayer under Personal Info section of Turbotax? Or is this glitch is somehow only affecting the downloaded pdf for some reason because it is shown in the correct hyphenated format under the 1040 Preview option of Turbotax online?

I'd like to make sure that when I file it to IRS, the Zipcode section on the form 1040 will be sent in the correct format and not in the [social security number removed] format as it is currently shown on my downloaded pdf file. 

*Please note that I have updated and changed the Personal Info/Mailing Address section on Turbotax just to try out if it will update the pdf and waited 15 minutes in between these changes and signed in and out of Turbotax online to have it aggreagted and I also tried different browsers. Also, my two letter state code is correct as well if you wonder.

So please do offer different solutions to find out how to resolve this -if there is any.

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
fstwrx
Returning Member

Turbotax Glitch Detected! The pdf version of my 2020 tax return shows the incorrect zipcode format (without the hyphen). How to make sure it will be filed correctly?

Has there been any update on this?  

Can anyone else confirm if their 1040 mailing address is also showing as a 9 digit zip without a dash/hyphen when viewing as PDF?  

nathalie_bc
Returning Member

My 1040 form is also displaying an incorrect format of zipcode. Has there been a fix yet?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The IRS computers will be able to read the Zip code in either format.  It literally doesn't matter.  There are way bigger things to worry about than a dash that doesn't matter one little bit.  

Amusing additional glitch-

When I posted another message in the TT community forum today, the autocensor took the zip+4 number and replaced it with "[social security number removed]".    I then edited my message and replaced the - with a word:

12345dash6789

which then posted without alteration.

@ bclee wrote:

When I posted another message in the TT community forum today, the autocensor took the zip+4 number and replaced it with "[social security number removed]".     I then edited my message and replaced the - with a word:    12345dash6789  which then posted without alteration.

The forum privacy filter will remove anything that it thinks could potentially be an SSN, such as any 9-digit number, or a number that it thinks could be a phone number, or an email address.   Yes, there are ways to fool the filter, so it's not 100%.   It removes personal info because this is a public Internet forum.   It's not uncommon for some unaware person to try to post their SSN, credit card number, or even a sensitive tax document in the public forum, not realizing this is a public Internet forum and thinking they are posting only for TurboTax Support.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies