turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gdnich33

TurboTax Free Edition is stating that I have Schedule 3, Nonrefundable Credits and need to upgrade. I do not have anything on Schedule 3. How can I file for free, please?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

TurboTax Free Edition is stating that I have Schedule 3, Nonrefundable Credits and need to upgrade. I do not have anything on Schedule 3. How can I file for free, please?

Look at your tax return there should be a Schedule 3 included with an amount entered on one of the Schedule 3 Lines.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

IRS Schedule 3 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s3.pdf

You asked:  "How can I file for free please?"

TurboTax has 2 free products, and the following will explain the differences and offer you another free option, if needed.   DoninGA  told you above how to look at your return to see if it is using Schedule 3.

The regular Free Edition is for very simple returns and not everyone can use it.  Certain forms are not available in Free Edition and require an upgrade to Deluxe, such as Schedules 1-3, itemized deductions, etc.   Did you start in Free Edition and had to upgrade?    If you haven't already paid or registered, and if you are sure you don't need Deluxe, you can use the "Clear and Start Over" feature to choose Free Edition, but depending on the complexity of your return you may not be able to use regular Free Edition.  If you need to itemize deductions, for instance, or have one of Schedules 1-3, you won't be able to use it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

The other free product (TurboTax IRS Free File Program) is fully-featured and can prepare all the usual forms and schedules.  It is even more powerful than Deluxe.  But one has to meet one of the qualifications to use.  See below:

To qualify for free 2019 federal and state tax returns through the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, you just need to meet one of these requirements:

• Your 2019 household AGI is $36,000 or less;
      • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
      • In 2019, you served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum AGI of $69,000, and you have a military-issued W-2.

If you qualify for that program and want to use it, see these 2 FAQs:

FAQ:  What is the TurboTax IRS Free File Program?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-the-turbotax-free-file-program/01/...

and

FAQ:  How do I switch to the TurboTax IRS Free File Program?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program/00/...

I have NO reason to have a schedule 3.  I am not even showed this schedule, I believe that you are insisting that I upgrade to the $40 version just because I get a child tax credit.  If this schedule is needed for me then why am I not able to view it anywhere?  I can't even go back to the beginning and look for it because the program will not allow me to see any of the tax filed so far.  Your a rip off

@alynnminor wrote:

I have NO reason to have a schedule 3.  I am not even showed this schedule, I believe that you are insisting that I upgrade to the $40 version just because I get a child tax credit.  If this schedule is needed for me then why am I not able to view it anywhere?  I can't even go back to the beginning and look for it because the program will not allow me to see any of the tax filed so far.  Your a rip off

You can view your Form 1040 and the supporting schedules at any time. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

cmwoodman

the statement that the form is visible in the tools is ABSOLUTELY FALSE if you have a mac.  we are only able to see a VERY small summary prior to paying.  I have redone my tax form twice in TurboTax.  i reviewed a sample Schedule 3 form and there are NO answers that i made that will go on the schedule 3 form. 

I have seen in the tools that i can delete the schedule 3.  and it even states that i have successfully deleted schedule 3.  but the schedule 3 remains and it is not at all removed.  it is consistently trying to cheat me.  

In my first attempt it tried to add a $4 contribution to a retirement fund (when i answered 'NO')  - i was not able to change it so i redid my form and intentionally skipped that question, but now it is adding what i believe is a BLANK form just so it can charge me.

This is absolutely wrong!!!!!  

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

I'm wondering if it's the retirement savings contribution credit.  Do you have anything on your W2's in box 12 with a code D?  It could be other codes too, but a D is for a 401(k) contribution.  

If so, you could delete that entry from your W2 and it should remove the retirement savings contribution credit.  You may need to delete the whole W2 and reenter it without the Code D.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@cmwoodman If what I wrote is False why can I go to any of the online TurboTax editions and view the Form 1040 and the Schedule 1, Schedule 2 and Schedule 3

Screenshot from a TurboTax online edition using Preview 1040 of Schedule 3 -

Schedule 3 TTO 2019.JPG

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies