turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MGLIII
Returning Member

Turbotax Electronic Filing Season Not Open Error On File

Numerous TurboTax sites say that one can file early (before Feb 12) and TurboTax will securely keep your return until the IRS starts accepting them on 12 Feb.  Yet on 3 Feb 2021, I tried to file a 1041 return and I received an error message stating that I can't file until TurboTax filing season starts.  Real simple....When does TurboTax Electronic filing season start?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Turbo Tax has already began accepting tax returns; it could be that 1 or more of your IRS forms are not yet ready. The 2 links below provide details on forms availability as well as confirmation that returns are being accepted.

2020 Tax Season

IRS Forms Availability

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MGLIII
Returning Member

I appreciate very much the time and energy everyone has spent in researching an answer to my question.  But all of your answers are related to 1040 returns.  My question is for a 1041 Business Tax return which I am required to file due to a very modest trust annuity income.  The only form I am required to file is the 8453-FE, which is listed as available to file online. The exact error message I just received again is: "You cannot e-file this tax return because the Intuit Electronic Filing Center is not open for the season yet. We accept 2020 Federal Fiduciary tax returns from the beginning of tax season to end of tax season. We'll see you then!" So, please once more, when is the "the beginning of tax season"? Thank you in advance.

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Provided for you below is more detailed information on the problem that you are having. Please work through the solution to see if this helps.

"Intuit Electronic Filing Center is not open for the season yet"

After having the same issue today, I just spent an hour on the phone with support and they still couldn't fix it. The season IS open, but its an error of some sort. They told me try to file again tomorrow.... nice.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

As LindseyLO stated above, please work through the solution to see if this helps.

"Intuit Electronic Filing Center is not open for the season yet"

I had similar difficulty the past five days and partially worked through the issue this morning.

It appears to me the error message is generic and does not distinguish between the federal filing season vs. the state return I tried to file simultaneously. 

My workaround this morning lies in the wizard questions --  I was able to select to e-file my federal filing, but to wait on submitting the state filing.  That allowed the federal filing to be submitted and the error message was not shown. Of course, the message still appears when I try to file my state's return, but this time the message shows the name of my state, so it's a little more customized of a message.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies