turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jp1366
Returning Member

TurboTax added my charitable contributions to my Minnesota Adjusted Gross Income. It did subtract it from my federal AGI though. Software glitch

This is clearly a software glitch. It added my charitable contributions to my state adjusted gross income instead of subtracting from it. It is within the $300 that can be deducted for filers using the standard deduction. How do I actually get Intuit's attention about this and get it fixed? Unfortunately I caught this after filing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

TurboTax added my charitable contributions to my Minnesota Adjusted Gross Income. It did subtract it from my federal AGI though. Software glitch

Minnesota has not adopted federal tax law changes enacted after December 31, 2018. You cannot deduct the $300 like on the federal form, and because Minnesota uses the federal adjusted gross income as the starting amount, the $300 must be subtracted.

However, if you do not itemize deductions on your Minnesota income tax return, you may subtract some of your charitable contributions from your Minnesota taxable income, but the deductible amount is the total of donations less $500.

You may subtract some of your contributions made during the year if both of the following are true: • You did not file Schedule M1SA, Minnesota Itemized Deductions. • You made charitable contributions of more than $500.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

The same thing happened to me for WV. It added it back into my state income. I filed last week okay, but yesterday I downloaded an update for Turbotax and then noticed my refund changed.  It looks like they fixed it and it no longer adds it to the state income.  

But TurboTax refuses to issue Release Notes for changes. Shame on them for that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Forgot to add, I need to amend my state because of this. Even though its only a few dollars, I still want it to be right.  I will probably wait a while because you never know when Turbotax will fix another error and not let us know.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies