turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax 2019 for Mac crashed when I tried to efile and won't open now. What can I do?

OS 10.13, but have seen similar posts from users on OS 10.15. Using Turbotax Delux.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Turbotax 2019 for Mac crashed when I tried to efile and won't open now. What can I do?

To best resolve this issue, please click here to get in contact with customer care. Please be sure to enter the correct product, edition, and a detailed description of your issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Unable to reach a person on your phone number. Using Skype, so call back wouldn't work. Finally gave up and  applied for a refund (which I haven't yet received, although I did received a blank email from you that may have had information about it). Purchased and used online TurboTax, which was buggy to the extent that it would not submit my forms online until I switched from a foreign address to a US address. My conclusion: TurboTax 2019 has not been tested well enough to be put out as user-ready.

I had the same issues; but finally had some success in getting the app operational again.  I believe that it is related to residual state or cached files that are corrupted and causing the app to crash.  It may be related to the 2nd state (in my case MN and PA); but I can't say for certain as I have not tried to recreate with just one state installed.

To correct the continual crashing, I began by removing the ~/Library files (cached files, saved state, and etc.).  See https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050 

I left the ~/Application folder files in tact and simply removed the localized user files under ~/Library.  Once the files are removed, I rebooted, restarted the app, installed the states that I had purchased (it still recognized the prior purchases), and was then back and operational.

While I was able open app, it continued to crash during the filing process (making it through to the point that the prior credit card transaction is recognized, and then crashed).  That said, I was able to eventually get the filing completed.  For me, this meant clicking the Close Button on the bottom right of the pop-up window, after the filing credit card transaction was recognized (vs. the Close shown in the window), followed by quickly clicking the Continue button in the app.  It could have all just been luck; but the app completed the filings.

I will also note, that if you choose to send the crash reports after a crash, the Library files will need to be removed again.  if the windows are closed, I am able to re-open the app again without issue.

Good luck!

Thank you for your detailed response. I'm going through this exact thing right now and it's VERY frustrating. I've spent the past 3 days working on it and talked to 6 different Helpdesk folks at Turbotax and not one of them knew about this issue. 

@tko-crash 

Apparently I spoke too soon. I was having the exact problem you describe where it was crashing after the program took me to the site to pay for the state (WI) e-file. I was able to relaunch the program 5 or 6 times (I had to walk through the problem with the Turbotax Helpdesk folks) but now the program will not relaunch. I've uninstalled the program along with all of the associated files multiple times and every time I try to launch the program, a dialogue box comes up that says "please wait while we verify everything is up to date" and then that disappears along with the Turbotax, File, Edit, View in the upper left corner ... the program just quits. Any ideas?

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes, please contact customer support using this link:https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

You will advise the representative on the phone that it is a known issue and that the solution is to push them first a federal soft, then state.  This solution works assuming you have already paid the fee to file. After a new download is pushed, it works like magic. 

I deleted and re-installed. Issue happened again. Here is how I solved it: 

I only filed federal first, and it worked. Then did the state, (since I previously paid for state filing) when the window popped up, I used the LOWER "close" button, as suggested by another user. Once dismissed I was able to file the state. 

That sounds like what I am staring at.  Crashed when paying for state efile using credit card and then would not open again.  Will give it a try.  Thanks

Thanks TKO-crash. 

The link to the instructions about removing items from the Library folder was the key.  I followed those instructions and reloaded the software.  I forgot to restart the computer after deleting the files and so that step does not appear to be required.  The bug is/was somewhere in filing the state return.  I separated the fed from state and the fed return went through smoothly but state continued to hang up.  I also deleted my state drivers license info (not required if you are in CA) but eventually was able to file the state return as well on the second or third attempt.  No exactly sure what the breakthrough step was.  Thanks again.

The replies from TKO-crash and maximus2 were helpful.  I deleted all of the Intuit related files as TKO-crash detailed, reloaded the software, and when I got to paying for the state e-filing clicked on the lower CLOSE button.  Thanks.

I had called this same issue in to Turbotax and was guided to reload the software.  However without first removing all of the other Intuit files hidden away in the ~/Library merely reloading the software does not do the job.  There is a second issue described below in the replies from TKO-crash and another person that also needs to happen to file the state return.  This is a Turbotax bug, not an Apple bug.

Now, why do you think I would come here just to be given a phone number to call?   If  you don't have answer, then don't answer but don't say, "call the 1800 number."   Why have a help blog is that's all you have to suggest?  See the suggestions further down?

Same thing just happened to me using the TurboTax Premier CD.  I spent 2 hrs on the phone with Intuit customer support and they acknowledge the problem.  Working with the rep, I then downloaded the latest version on line but still can't get past the brief popup message "please wait while we verify everything is up to date".  Now I have no idea if the return was actually filed or not and any attempt to access it on my Mac gets the same momentary message "please wait while we verify everything is up to date".  Unfortunately, I did not have my return saved to a pdf before I attempted to file it and it is completely lost if it was not filed.  The rep had no idea when the glitch will be fixed, no knowledge of how I can find out, no suggestion on how I can file my taxes  nor was there any offer to refund my purchase. I will have to return it to Costco while we are quarantined and completely redo my 2019 tax return.  The only thing I know for sure is that Intuit DID collect the $25 from my bank for the VA state tax filing but I have no idea how to recover that fee.  I have successfully used TurboTax for the past 10 years and am VERY disappointed the first time I have had to seek answers to a problem.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@rfgildea Please see the information below, a customer posted that corrected this issue:

To correct the continual crashing, I began by removing the ~/Library files (cached files, saved state, and etc.).  Please see this article: Remove and reinstall TurboTax for Mac

I left the ~/Application folder files in tact and simply removed the localized user files under ~/Library.  Once the files are removed, I rebooted, restarted the app, installed the states that I had purchased (it still recognized the prior purchases), and was then back and operational.

While I was able open app, it continued to crash during the filing process (making it through to the point that the prior credit card transaction is recognized, and then crashed).  That said, I was able to eventually get the filing completed.  For me, this meant clicking the Close Button on the bottom right of the pop-up window, after the filing credit card transaction was recognized (vs. the Close shown in the window), followed by quickly clicking the Continue button in the app.  It could have all just been luck; but the app completed the filings.

I will also note, that if you choose to send the crash reports after a crash, the Library files will need to be removed again.  if the windows are closed, I am able to re-open the app again without issue.

"tko-crash Level 3"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies