turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dan4111983
Returning Member

TurboTax 2019 bug: can't see what I owe for state taxes

Hi Everyone!

A couple weeks ago I downloaded and installed TurboTax 2019 for Windows PC, deluxe version with one free state included. I got as far as starting to work on my state taxes.

But now I'm stuck, because when I click "See Amount" at the top of the application and TurboTax goes through the normal process of downloading forms for my state (Louisiana was where I lived for 2019),  saves my file and refreshes the application, nothing changes. I still see "See Amount" in the window where my state tax fee/refund should be. 

Is anyone else having this problem? So far I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program, but that hasn't helped.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DeanM15
Expert Alumni

When you go into your TurboTax return is the Louisiana return staying in TurboTax or do you have to download it again?

You can check this by going to Forms mode and looking at the return. Are the Louisiana forms staying with the return and is the information you entered staying even after you log off and log on again? If you are retaining the forms and the data you enter you do not have to worry, you will be able to file your Louisiana return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dan4111983
Returning Member

When I go to Forms mode I don't see the state taxes at all.

For further information, when I started my taxes I selected Louisiana as my free state, since we moved from there to Florida end of last November, and Florida doesn't have state taxes. 

So I'm at this screen, and I'm wanting to download my state forms:

ScreenShot008.png

I click "Start" on Florida, it pops up a purchase screen to add another state:ScreenShot006.png

So it appears from this screen that I've already downloaded LA as my free state, and just need the forms added to my return. So I click continue, and the program points out there's no personal income tax in Florida, so I don't need to file one. I say okay, and I get this screen:ScreenShot007.png

I click "Download Now" and I get this screen:
ScreenShot009.png

I click OK and it attempts to get my state for about 10 seconds or so, then I just get this screen:

ScreenShot010.png

I click OK from there and TurboTax saves my file, refreshes the screen, and I still just have "See Amount" in that window, and from to the forms view, still no state forms attached to my return.

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

Ok, the software is telling you it downloaded Louisana, but it does not actually download.

Also, I am assuming you do not see anything like this after you download in the state section:

If this is the case, the first thing I would do is set up a dummy second account and see if you can import the Louisana software there. If you can, then the problem is likely with your return .tax file. If you can not then the problem is likely the software. 

If you are unable to set up Louisana in the second account, I would preserve your .tax file and delete and re-install the TurboTax software and see if that does anything for you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dan4111983
Returning Member

No I am not able to download and install states at all.

Okay, as I mentioned in the Original Post, I purchased and installed TurboTax Deluxe + State, so setting up a dummy account doesn't really apply to me. But if I translate you correctly you're saying create a new .tax file from scratch and see if the old one was corrupt.? I just tried doing that, and it didn't work.

Also, I believe I also said I already tried to uninstall and reinstall the software. I also tried a manual update of the software.

I'm at a loss, and feeling frustrated, to be honest.

mackeral17
Returning Member

Im having the same problem too . its late im tired  . all I got was a error 1706. saying wlaiper.msi. was downloaded correctly .  i tried support phone call, chating , all it does is fix federal . uninstalled & reinstalled error went away but no state dwnload . they dont even know. we re probably not the only 1 s. with this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies