turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax won't let me fill a free edition they say I paid excess Social Security tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

Turbo Tax won't let me fill a free edition they say I paid excess Social Security tax.

Correct, that requires a form not included in the free version.

However, did you really pay excess social security or did you enter some information incorrectly?  Check your W-2s again.

You only paid too much social security if you (or your spouse) earned more than $132,900 from 2 or more jobs.  If you made more than this combined, it will look like one person paid too much if both W-2s are accidentally entered under the name of the same spouse.  Or, it will look like an error if you copied box 4 of your W-2s wrong.  If you paid less than $8,239.80 in box 4 taxes from all your W-2s, then the message about too much SS tax means you have a typo in your W-2 entry.

Make sure your W-2s are entered correctly and assigned to the correct spouse, if you are married and have more than 1 W-2.

If you really did pay more than 8,239.80 in social security tax from 2 or more jobs, you will need an upgrade to complete your return.

OR 

There is also The Turbo Tax Free File program which is free for federal and state.  And has more forms than the Federal Free Edition, like Schedules A, B, C , D, E, F, EIC, H, K-1, SE,  etc.

To qualify for the Free File website  you just need to meet one of these 3 things.

AGI $36,000 or less.

Active duty military with AGI of $69,000 or less

OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

In order to use the Free File program, you have to start it at a special website.  Click on Sign in at the top right.  It may let you continue your return so you don't have to start over.

https://freefile.intuit.com/

How to switch to the Free File website

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program/01/...

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

As suggested, you need to check your W-2;s to see you entered the information on Boxes 3 & 4 correctly.

If you have two or more W-2''s, and your total Social Security Income on all W-2's  (Box 3) is greater than $132,900 then you have paid in Excess Social Security tax  and are due a refund of the excess.

Because Excess Social Security required a Schedule 3 you cannot use the Free File version of TurboTax.

@Opus17

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@VolvoGirl wrote:

OR 

There is also The Turbo Tax Free File program which is free for federal and state.  And has more forms than the Federal Free Edition, like Schedules A, B, C , D, E, F, EIC, H, K-1, SE,  etc.

To qualify for the Free File website  you just need to meet one of these 3 things.

AGI $36,000 or less.

Active duty military with AGI of $69,000 or less

OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

If the customer really has more than $136,000 of taxable income, they don't qualify for the FreeFile version. 🙂

Oh, good point!

dgodair88

I'm having this same problem. I have 1 W2 with the correct amount of Social Securtity withheld ($8,240.00) but it won't let me file without upgrading. It says there is too much withheld but that isn't true. 

The max SS amount is $8,239.80.  Looks like you are over by a little bit.  Change the amount in box 4 to only 8,239 and leave off the cents.  

EDITED:  I had reverse the 2 & 3.

I have the same issue.  looking at my social sec taxes they add up to nothing near the limit (almost 2k in one and near 1k with the other employer) yet I still get the same message.  Also my total income less than 50k so I'm not sure why it's saying I'm paying excess. I just want to finish so I can start paying the taxes i owe this year.

Try leaving off the cents in box 4.  That worked for another user.

Get a calculator and check each box 3&4.  Multiply box 3 x .062 and it should be box 4.

Or check W2 box 12.  You may have entered Code A by mistake.

A sure way to fix this is to delete the W2 and re-enter it.  That may clear something out.

apparently even though on my end it didn't show it went to the third decimal place i had to round down a dollar in order for it to not say i had excess so social security tax. After doing that it finally went through (trying the other methods didn't work until I did that.

so instead of 948.848 (actual .062 times what box 3 said) I originally put 948.84 which was fine, but the other job had 1910.28 when the actual number was 1910.236.  So that few cents difference is what caused this headache lol.  I appreciate your help all!. 

Thanks for posting back and letting us know what worked.

Rahim9595

xcxcvxcxcxc
Returning Member

having this same problem now and i dont have excess social security

You get excess SS back if you had more than 1 employer and those employers took out more than the max for Social Security tax in W2 box 4.  For 2022 the max for Social Security is $9,114.00 on $147,000 of wages (147,000 x 6.2%).  And it is for each spouse separately if married.  Check 1040 Schedule 3 line 11 which goes to 1040 line 31.

Check W2 boxes 3 & 4.  How much is in each box?  Box 4 should be Box 3 x .062 up to a max of 9,114.00.   If box 4 is more than that you need to get a corrected W2 from your employer.  Try leaving the cents off box 4.  But also go back and double check your W2 entries, you may have entered box 3 & 4 wrong.  A lot of people who have asked this found they did enter an amount wrong.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies