turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax Self Employed & Personal

We are using Turbo Tax Self employed. Do we need to use a different version for our personal filing (1040)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

@dktk1130 wrote:

We are using Turbo Tax Self employed. Do we need to use a different version for our personal filing (1040)?

TurboTax Self-Employed is for your personal filing (1040 plus any relevant schedules, such as Schedule C for your business - sole proprietorship).

If you are trying to prepare a return for an entity (e.g, a multi-member LLC or corporation), you cannot do so with TurboTax Self-Employed.

No.  The Self Employed version is only for personal returns on 1040 that need Schedule C for self employment income.  You ARE filling out your personal return.  

Do you need to file a separate Business return?  Like a Partnership or LLC or 1065, 1120?

S Corp…...

To do the S corp return you need Turbo Tax Business.

The small business program (TT Business) is for 1120 Corporation, 1120S Corp, 1065 Partnership or 1041 Estate/Trust returns and will not do your personal 1040 return.   It  is a separate program from the Desktop Home & Business program or the Online Self Employed version.

Home & Business Desktop program or the Online Self Employed version is for personal returns that include a schedule C for self employment or sole proprietor. A single owner LLC would be reported on Schedule C unless the LLC elected to be treated as an S corp or C corp.

You will get a schedule K-1 (or a W2) from the business return to manually enter into your personal 1040 return.

Turbo Tax Business  is not available to do online or on a Mac.  You can buy the Window's version here.  And you can have both TT Business and TT Home & Business (or any personal version) installed on  your computer at the same time.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes

@dktk1130 If this is the first year for your S corporation, and/or you have never prepared a return for an S corporation previously, you might want to seek professional guidance and/or tax preparation.

Do I need to go to the store to get that version or can I download the link you provided?

We have previously submitted a S corp return, this is our first year doing it ourselves.

You can buy the download at the link.

I just want to make sure I am clear. I need to download the TT Business for my s-corp and TT home & business for my personal filing?

@dktk1130 wrote:

I just want to make sure I am clear. I need to download the TT Business for my s-corp and TT home & business for my personal filing?

Yes, you are clear in your understanding of what you need purchase and download.

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies