turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tuition is more than scholarship but turbo tax calculates the scholarship as income

My son's tuition is $9000 and scholarship is $1800 dollars.  Turbo tax is stating that the scholarship exceeds the tuition and therefore must be claimed as income.  This has to be wrong.  Anyone?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Tuition is more than scholarship but turbo tax calculates the scholarship as income

Please return back to the interview screens and make sure that the values entered are in the right sections. 

Click this article for additional steps on entering Form 1098-T.

Will you be claiming an education credit or a tuition and feed deduction this year?

TurboTax will automatically calculate the education deduction or credit, you can only take one or the other, to your best advantage.

If you would like to learn more about the details:

Here is a list of qualified education expenses and a link to their Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center from the IRS.

tstclair
Returning Member

This is happening to me also, $14K in tuition, $6K in scholarships all being treated as income.  It says that the scholarship monies exceed the tuition amount.  Very obviously an error.

tstclair
Returning Member

This is happening to me also, $14K in tuition, $6K in scholarships all being treated as income.  It says that the scholarship monies exceed the tuition amount.  Very obviously an error.  I did go back and verify it is all entered correctly.  I am going to delete and redo a 3rd time now.

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

If you delete the 1098-T, please also delete the student worksheet and Form 8863.

If the scholarship is entered on the 1098-T screen, do not enter it on any other screen. 

For Online:

Sign into your account and go into the return

Open the “Tax Tools” drop-down on the left side bar

Click on “Tools” on that drop-down

Click Delete a form (the third one down) on the “Tools Center” screen

Scroll down and click “Delete” next to Form 1098-T, Form 8863, and any student worksheets 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies