Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT Home & Business. I filled out state tax refunds when asked. Since I didn't itemize, no tax says TT. Now my AZ return says 140NR error, cannot exceed Fed amount.

I put in the amount of the AZ refund when asked on AZ return, now says error 140NR - cannot exceed Fed amount. Don't these returns talk to one another?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

TT Home & Business. I filled out state tax refunds when asked. Since I didn't itemize, no tax says TT. Now my AZ return says 140NR error, cannot exceed Fed amount.

The information on your State of Arizona return is populated by the information that you entered into TurboTax for your Federal Return.   However, the data that is requested in the Federal portion is in regards to your 2018 refund you received in 2019.  

To review your state tax refund, follow these steps while in TurboTax:

1. While in your Tax Home,
  2. Select Search from the top right side of your screen,
  3. Enter State Tax Refund,
  4. Select Go go State & Local Tax Refund,
  5. In this section, you are entering the State Income Tax Refund you RECEIVED in 2019.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

To be sure - I'm using downloaded Mac version of TT Home & Business, not online version. So unsure about "tax home" though I did search "state tax refund" but got 23K answers that do not apply. I filled out the tax refund portion in the Fed return citing four different state refunds or credits. And yes, it was 2018 refund paid in 2019. In the past, this was always taxable but Fed return said non taxable because we did not itemize for 2018 tax year. And yes, I thought AZ return would take info from Fed return that would include tax refund. I eventually had a phone call with Victor of TT - my 2nd attempt. Long story short - he said put a zero for refund on the AZ return. TT seemed happy with that. Maybe the AZ return question should have said "are you paying tax on your 2018 AZ refund because you itemized last year?"

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Thanks for sharing your solution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

well, I didn't really feel like that was the proper solution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies