turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to understand why in 2019 my refund was less, when I made more this year but in 2017 my refund was more but I made less?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Trying to understand why in 2019 my refund was less, when I made more this year but in 2017 my refund was more but I made less?

The more you make, the more taxes you pay.

If you added a second W-2, see Why did my refund drop when I entered a second W-2?

Otherwise, if your refund is much lower than 2017, do a line by line comparison of this year's return versus your 2017 return to identify any differences.  If you are using TurboTax Online, you can see a preview of your 1040 form

Also, double check the amounts you entered into TurboTax to make sure they were entered correctly.

Below are additional reasons why your refund may be lower this year compared to last year: 

• Your 2019 Federal and/or State Tax Withholding was lower than 2017. This generally happens if you have more than one W-2.
  • You didn't defer or you deferred less income into your Employer-Sponsored Retirement Plan or Flexible Savings Plan.
  • You didn't qualify for a tax credit you you received in 2017 (or the credit amount decreased).
  • You removed a dependent.
  • You changed your filing status.
  • If you didn't itemize your deductions in 2019 but you itemized your deductions in 2017 or you are using the Standard Deduction in 2019.

Additional informationWhy did my refund go down compared to last year's?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

The more you make, the more taxes you pay.

If you added a second W-2, see Why did my refund drop when I entered a second W-2?

Otherwise, if your refund is much lower than 2017, do a line by line comparison of this year's return versus your 2017 return to identify any differences.  If you are using TurboTax Online, you can see a preview of your 1040 form

Also, double check the amounts you entered into TurboTax to make sure they were entered correctly.

Below are additional reasons why your refund may be lower this year compared to last year: 

• Your 2019 Federal and/or State Tax Withholding was lower than 2017. This generally happens if you have more than one W-2.
  • You didn't defer or you deferred less income into your Employer-Sponsored Retirement Plan or Flexible Savings Plan.
  • You didn't qualify for a tax credit you you received in 2017 (or the credit amount decreased).
  • You removed a dependent.
  • You changed your filing status.
  • If you didn't itemize your deductions in 2019 but you itemized your deductions in 2017 or you are using the Standard Deduction in 2019.

Additional informationWhy did my refund go down compared to last year's?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies