turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

triciajoe

"Transmit my returns now" when submitting an extension just submits the extenison not my actual returns, correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

"Transmit my returns now" when submitting an extension just submits the extenison not my actual returns, correct?

As long as you followed the below procedure, that is correct.

To file Form 4868 to request an extension on time to file your tax return, select your situation:

Keep in mind: An extension doesn't give you extra time to pay your taxes, but it'll keep you from getting a late filing penalty. (You'll still owe interest if you pay after the deadline.)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You don’t need to file Form 4868 or use TurboTax if you make a payment using the IRS
electronic payment options. 
You can pay all or part of your estimated income tax due and **indicate that the payment is for an extension** using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, or using a credit or debit card. Your extension is then automatically granted and you will receive a confirmation number for your records.

Any amount, even $10., will do.

Lawdogg75

need my return ststus

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

A few more details in your statement would guide us to provide specific information. 

However, after e-filing, your federal or state return may sit in Pending status for 24-48 hours before its status changes.

We'll send you an email when your return goes from pending status to Accepted or Rejected.

You can also find out if the government received your return by checking your e-file status.

Sign in to TurboTax to check your current status. You'll find it in Tax Home after sign in.

If you've got an Alexa device, you can enable it to check for you.

If you used TurboTax CD/Download you can check your e-file status by opening the File menu and selecting Check E-filing status or by opening your return, selecting the File tab, and selecting the Check E-file Status header.

Keep in mind:

• E-filing status is what stage of the process your return is in.
  • Refund status is when you can expect your refund. If that’s what you’re interested in, go to Where's My Refund?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies