turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SXRE
Returning Member

Transferred from personal account to S-Corp

Last year, I transferred from my personal account to my S-Corp account to make some payments on my business credit card since I had no income. Did I lend to my S-Corp? Where do I mention this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In this situation, the injection can be treated as either. However, there should be some evidence of the debt if a loan has been made to the corporation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

you made a loan to the S-Corp. You have to file the S-Corp return to take a tax deduction for the S-Corp's expenses.  technically those credit card expenses, assuming they are business expenses, were deductible by the S-Corp and the deductible on your personal return through the K-1 in the year they were put on the CC assuming you had basis in the S-Corp.   TT does not compute basis.  if there was no basis in the year the expenses were put on the CC putting money into the S-Corp gives you basis but even then you can only deduct the expenses to the extent you have positive basis before considering those expenses.  

Carl
Level 15

@Anonymous just curious. Wouldn't or couldn't that be considered a capital contribution instead of a loan? The OP does after all, own the S-Corp.

In this situation, the injection can be treated as either. However, there should be some evidence of the debt if a loan has been made to the corporation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies