turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amphiuma

Transfer tax file from old PC to new PC

I almost completed my income tax with Turbo Tax on my old PC, saved the file to my hard drive and an external backup drive.  I purchased a new PC and transferred all files from my back up external drive.  When I installed TurboTax on my new PC, it does not find my almost complete income tax file.  I see the file in my folders, but Turbo Tax only finds my previous (2018) return.  Can you help me with this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
mrkm85

Perhaps try finishing your taxes on your old PC, up to filing.  Try copying the completed taxes to your new PC and see if it finds the file then.  Otherwise, I'd just finish the taxes, including filing on your old PC, then transfer the whole thing.  Hope this helps!

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If TurboTax found your 2018 return, that is because when you opened TurboTax on your new PC, you said that you wanted to start a new return.  So, TurboTax is looking for 2018 returns to transfer in.  But you don't want to do that.  When you open the program, select File at the top, then select Open Tax Return.  Then TurboTax will search for 2019 tax returns.  It should find it if you moved your files to the new PC.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

And get rid of the tax return you started - it will have the same name and you run the risk of overwriting your good file with the empty one.  Or rename your good (almost complete) file.   Use File, Save As when you have it open.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies