turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

This year turbo tax didn’t ask about my healthcare insurance any idea why?

It is no longer required for you to have health insurance under the new tax law. 

You will not be penalized for not having health insurance.  

Since you have health insurance through the Marketplace and received the form 1095-A the information needs to be reported on your tax return.

@russ alfo

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is clear now that we're all getting letters from the IRS asking to reconcile our 1095... the issues lies in the fact that Turbo Tax did not prompt nor ask for this information. Since the penalty for not having healthcare was lifted, and turbotax didn't promot you to enter your 1095 as it had in previous years, most people assumed it wasn't required. Now everyone is getting blocked by the IRS and refunds are being pushed out 8-12 weeks because of this. It's incredibly frustrating when we spend right at $100 to file our taxes with their guarantee that they'll be correct only to have our refunds delayed 2 months because they're NOT correct, and yet we paid for that service. 

It depends on your information and what all they need from you. If you call the IRS they can pull up your return and give you the information. They recommended faxing when I called. Said if you fax it, your return will be delayed 6-10 weeks, if you mail it expect a delay of 8-16 weeks. It took me 5 days just to get the fax to go thru because the line was constantly busy.

YES YES YES! You will have to dig thru turbo tax to find it because it definitely doesn't ask for it but it DOES have to be included in your return. If not you'll be a sitting duck for an extra 6-12 weeks like the rest of us!

Yeah that 8962 is no joke and honestly I am still unsure that I did it correctly! 

I chose to fax mine, as I depend on my refund to pay for my summer semester of school and the man I spike with said if you fax it, your delay is 6-10 weeks, where as mailing it it's 8-16 weeks. I tried for 5 days straight from 630am-530om to fax from work and it got rejected every time because the line was busy. I wound up having to pay $6 to use a fax app Saturday before it finally went through..... more money I'm out because TT screwed me.

It's definitely the easiest route if you're in no hurry to get your refund. Your 6-10 week delay won't start until they receive your ammended return. So if you go thru the headache of filling out the 8962 now, your return will be processed sooner. If you wait until you can ammend, it will be easier because you will be able to just put your 1095 in and be done. It's not that one option is better, it just takes longer

You can access the 8962 on the IRS website, you only have to wait till late February if you want to ammend your return electronically. I do caution that filling out the 8962 is definitely a process, it's confusing and the directions are absurdly hard to comprehend for people who aren't in accounting.  Ammending it electronically is easier because you'll just enter the 1095 like TT SHOULD have prompted to behind with, but it will further delay your total processing time. 

Not sure what Mainecare is but if you purchase insurance from the marketplace (healthcare.gov I think the site is) they send you the form typically electronically. 

That's a joke. TT is saying it's not their fault and that they aren't required to ask about it because there's no penalty for not having insurance now. Complete bulls!*!

Did you get a letter from the IRS requesting the 1095-A?  If so how quickly after filing did you receive it?  I am finding myself in this exact situation because TurboTax didn't prompt me for health insurance info.  I'm trying to figure out how much longer I will have to wait for my refund now.  I am so upset!

It took 3 weeks to get my letter. Smh. If you fax the forms it delay is 6-10 weeks, mailing them back the delay is 8-16 weeks..... all of which could have been avoided had TT just prompted ONE SIMPLE QUESTION! 

DianeC958, If this information needed to be on our tax forms, WHY didn’t Turbo Tax direct us to do that, as it does every other area that is needed? That pat answer, “because health insurance is no longer required” doesn’t cut it. This is part of our tax situation, and it should have been addressed. It doesn’t apply to everyone, but to many it does! TT needs to correct this in their program, and refund all of us affected.

But why did it not ask the question, for all those who had marketplace insurance it is a required form.  I remember the program asked if I wanted to do it with all the questions and I answered "yes".  You people need to tell everyone what the fix is now,  do we amend when available or what.  This also can affect your refund!  The 8962is a very complicated form any many will not get it right, this is why they come to you.

That's a cop out. Someone or some team at Intuit failed here. Actually, multiple teams failed here.

Designers, programmers, QA, and especially your TAX EXPERTS should've caught this massive mistake.

Upon further reflection, I think Intuit will be very lucky to escape this without a lawsuit or fines. I doubt this passes the requirements for the Free File program. And that's shocking with Intuit's Free File issues recently.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies