Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

This is the first time I have gotten unemployment. On my 1099g box 10a & 10b are both empty. But box 11 has an amount. Turbo tax won't let me leave them boxes empty and I don't know state identificati

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

This is the first time I have gotten unemployment. On my 1099g box 10a & 10b are both empty. But box 11 has an amount. Turbo tax won't let me leave them boxes empty and I don't know state identificati

Since there were state taxes withheld and reported in box 11 of your Form 1099-G, you do need to complete boxes 10a and 10b. 

Use the dropdown box to enter the state name for box 10a.  Type the Federal ID number shown on your form in box 10b for the state ID number if that box is blank on your form.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! Would the Federal ID be the payers TIN? 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, the payer's TIN would be the number you can enter in the state ID box 10b.

This is also my first time and I got it electronically but it doesn’t show the labels for me on which box is which, so I have no idea what to put in box 10b

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Try matching the information on your electronic form to the description of the boxes on the TurboTax screen.  

You only need to worry about boxes 10a, 10b, and 11 if state taxes were withheld from your unemployment payments.  In that case, enter the amount of state taxes that were withheld in box 11 on the TurboTax screen.  Use the dropdown selection to fill in box 10a with your state name.  Enter the Federal ID number (or Federal TIN) from your form for box 10b if there is no state ID number included with your information.  

If no state taxes were withheld from your payments, then do not fill in anything for the state information (boxes 10a, 10b, and 11).

@katelynehp

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies