turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The standard deduction was chosen on my 2019 taxes when I filed married filing separated and affected my economic stimulus payment using turbo tax, how are you fixing it?

I filed using your software and now I states that I am not qualified because I am showing as a dependant for my spouse and he is for me. Is there anyway you are fixing this because your software transfer 2018 information?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The standard deduction was chosen on my 2019 taxes when I filed married filing separated and affected my economic stimulus payment using turbo tax, how are you fixing it?

Turbo Tax is investigating this issue, sign up here

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/spouse-claimed-as-a-dependent-box-checked-on-2019-...

Can you check your 2018 returns and see if that was checked back then too? We are seeing reports it was.  So that may have started in 2017 or 2018 and transferred to 2019.  Probably never would have been a problem and caught except now because of the Stimulus Check.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

There's nothing "broke" with TurboTax concerning stimulus payments; therefore one can't fix what isn't broke.

I am showing as a dependant for my spouse

Not possible. A married person can *NOT* be claimed as a dependent on any tax return, except under special circumstances which *DO* *NOT* *APPLY* to your situation. A married couple filing separate can not, under any circumstances, claim their spouse as a dependent. There are no exceptions.

affected my economic stimulus payment

Without the "EXACT" details of just "how" it was affected, it's impossible to provide you with any meaningful or useful feedback on this. But see https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-calculating-my-economic-impa... as it might answer the question of why the amount of your payment is not what you expected.

Finally, understand that when a married couple files separate, both you you *automatically* disqualify yourselves for quite a number of deductions and credits that you would receive if you filed joint.

Turbo Tax is investigating this issue, sign up here

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/spouse-claimed-as-a-dependent-box-checked-on-2019-...

Can you check your 2018 returns and see if that was checked back then too? We are seeing reports it was.  So that may have started in 2017 or 2018 and transferred to 2019.  Probably never would have been a problem and caught except now because of the Stimulus Check.  

797C0016-7FEF-43F2-96C7-F50B2F7CBB52.jpeg

Thank you @VolvoGirl 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies