Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The IRS corrected my 1040 for the unemployment. However, I can not see/download/or find my corrected 1040. Why has Turbo Tax not updated my documents to correspond?

Why has turbotax not updated my filed documents to the corrections that the IRS made?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

The IRS corrected my 1040 for the unemployment. However, I can not see/download/or find my corrected 1040. Why has Turbo Tax not updated my documents to correspond?

TurboTax receives no information from the IRS whatsoever after your return is filed and cannot add or change anything.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

this will be a big issue come 2021. if your return was changed the AGI would not match what was filed which could prevent e-filing in 2021. on the other hand, if you need to amend 2020 you'll need to adjust for the UC if TT does not automatically adjust it.

True.  Unless you have set up and are using the 5-digit PIN to e-file, the IRS normally uses the prior year's AGI...as it was originally e-filed and accepted, to allow you to e-file the next year too.   So if TTX automatically adjusted the Unemployment changes for people who filed before the exemption was initiated, then those folks could have a problem e-filing, unless they rigorously downloaded the PDF of their tax file at the time they filed.  Many people do properly and immediately download their actual as-filed tax return, but far too many just send it in and ignore it entirely until the next year.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I would guess that the problem that might occur, would be that the file transfer into the 2021 file could be improper if the unemployment change also changed a number of other items that need to be input properly into the 2021 tax returns.  TTX may need to issue some support FAQs about that to the people affected as to whether they should start a 2020 Federal amendment anyhow (but not file it) so that those changes get logged into their 2020 tax file for xfer into 2021 taxes.

Perhaps @KatieH  should include this on her list of discussion topics to cover for the Unemployment Q&A on September 9th....and maybe create an specific FAQ to cover this issue of transferring the IRS corrected tax data into taxpayers 2021 file:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/ask-the-experts-unemployment-q-a-september-9-2021...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies