Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My 16 year old worked and received a w-2 from 2016. she had taxes taken out. does she need to file taxes or do I still count her as a dependent on my taxes?

Age doesn't matter for taxes.  You pay tax on your income no matter your age.  If you are under 19 on Dec 31 someone like your parents can probably claim you as a dependent.  If you are over 18 but under 24 and a full time student they can still claim you no matter how much you make.  

Your employer fills out the W2.  The W2 is to report the total amount they paid you and the deductions for the year.  You enter it into a 1040 tax return.  The 1040 is for the federal government (the IRS).  Your state will also have their own tax return.  You fill out the tax returns and send the 1040 to the IRS and send your state return to the state.  As I said just wait and see.  Your first year should be simple to do.  Good night, it's getting late.

Gerson_Lopz
Returning Member

My 16 year old worked and received a w-2 from 2016. she had taxes taken out. does she need to file taxes or do I still count her as a dependent on my taxes?

Ok, thank you for helping me by the way things are more clear to me now. Good night.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies