Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chelsykay
Returning Member

Testing Separate vs Joint Returns

My spouse and I both prepared "Married Filing Separately" returns on our own TurboTax online profiles, and now want to file jointly, to see what the difference would be. We're doing the "jointly" on my account, since I have more complicated info. Do I need to "clear and start over," since I ran the numbers for a "separate" return, or can I just simply change the status to "Married Filing Jointly," and go through the return again, adding his info? I'm afraid some of the calculations or answers may be off now, since I began with filing "separately." 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JuttaS
Employee Writer

You can go through your separate return from the beginning (Personal section) and walk through it again, adding and updating as you go.

Unfortunately the online version isn't well-suited for this 'what if' scenario - the desktop cd/download software has  "forms mode" where all you do is click a checkbox to compare joint vs separate filing status.

chelsykay
Returning Member

Thank you so much! I was afraid I would need to clear everything and start the return from scratch. I've changed the status to "jointly" and will add/edit, as I go along. I appreciate your input!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies