turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nickie007

Taxes on the sale of a second (inherited) home

If a home is inherited, making it your second home, then sold either within a year or after a year, how would capital gains tax work and would it make a difference if that second (inherited) home was to become the primary residence?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Your basis for inherited property would generally be the fair market value on the date of the decedent's death and your capital gain would be the difference between that basis and your selling price (i.e., if you sold it for more than your basis you would have a capital gain).

Regardless of how long you held the property, any gain would be long-term since the holding period for property acquired via inheritance is automatically long-term (i.e., long-term capital gain tax rates apply).

If you made the home your primary residence, you could exclude gain on the sale of $250,000 ($500,000 if married filing jointly) provided you owned and used the home as your primary residence for at least two out of the past five years leading up to the sale.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p523#en_US_2019_publink10008938

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Your basis for inherited property would generally be the fair market value on the date of the decedent's death and your capital gain would be the difference between that basis and your selling price (i.e., if you sold it for more than your basis you would have a capital gain).

Regardless of how long you held the property, any gain would be long-term since the holding period for property acquired via inheritance is automatically long-term (i.e., long-term capital gain tax rates apply).

If you made the home your primary residence, you could exclude gain on the sale of $250,000 ($500,000 if married filing jointly) provided you owned and used the home as your primary residence for at least two out of the past five years leading up to the sale.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p523#en_US_2019_publink10008938

Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies