turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxes in multiple states

My daughter recently moved from AR to DC where she works for a federal agency (the Social Security Administration). I know that I have to do an AR state return. 

1. Do I need to do a DC return?

2. Even though she works for the SSA, the employer address on her W2 is Denver, CO. Do I need to do a CO state return?

3. She has minimal interest income in Oklahoma where she maintains a small savings account.  Oklahoma is her home state. Do I need to do an OK state return. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Taxes in multiple states

Based on the information you shared, she would need to file part-year resident returns for AR and DC.

A return for OK is not necessary for only bank interest earned from a bank in the state.  Interest income is taxed in the state where the person lives instead of the state where the bank is located.  The interest would be divided between AR and DC based on the time lived in each of those locations.  

@okrandy

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Taxes in multiple states

It depends.

1.  You would need to file a part-year DC return if she resided and made DC her domiciled home during 2019 and intends to stay there.  She would need to file a part-year resident return in DC.

2.  The employer address has no bearing on the state return she files.  You do not need to file a CO return unless withholdings were made for CO on her W-2 under Boxes 15-17.

3.  It does not sounds like Oklahoma is her home state from what you have described.  If she moved from Arkansas to DC, it appears she may be filing part-year resident returns from these two states instead. 

Please comment if you need further clarification.

Taxes in multiple states

Thanks for the help.  So the address on her SSA W2 is not significant.  That helps.

I noticed in the state section on her W2 that DC and MD (actual SSA HQ) are listed.  Also, no state taxes are shown for MD but they are for DC. So I would need to do state returns in DC and AR? 

Oklahoma is where she grew up and has some savings accounts here; thus the interest. Technically, it seems that I would need to pay OK taxes on that interest. 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Taxes in multiple states

Based on the information you shared, she would need to file part-year resident returns for AR and DC.

A return for OK is not necessary for only bank interest earned from a bank in the state.  Interest income is taxed in the state where the person lives instead of the state where the bank is located.  The interest would be divided between AR and DC based on the time lived in each of those locations.  

@okrandy

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies