turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tamia0306_
Returning Member

Tax Return Filed Twice

I recently mailed in a tax return with payment. Payment was processed but not the tax return. So I have e-filed and they are being processed. What happens after that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Tax Return Filed Twice

How do you know the tax return was not processed if they took your payment?  What are you basing that assumption on?  What do you expect to see that would show you if they processed a return with a payment due besides taking your payment?  By e-filing after mailing the return with a payment you may just be causing a lot of confusion.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
tamia0306_
Returning Member

Tax Return Filed Twice

So after being on hold for an hour and speaking with the IRS, they informed me that they can't hold onto a person's payment so it has to be cashed right away. So that is not uncommon for them to process the payment before the taxes. When I log onto the IRS, it tells me that they processed by payment but not my tax return. 

Tax Return Filed Twice

They are backlogged.  Just because they cashed your payment does not mean they will not process your return when they get to it.  Filing again was unnecessary and might confuse things.  Not sure what you thought would "happen" after the IRS got your payment.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies