turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

carlaolano
Returning Member

tax return and payment method being out of US

I had a job until June 28th 2019 and then I left the country. I want to understand how the tax return works for 6 months. Also, I am closing my US bank account. How do I proceed with the tax return and how do I get my money back if I am based in Spain and I dont have a US account and I am not in US soil?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You have not explained your immigration/citizenshp status, so it is possible that you cannot even use TurboTax when the time comes to file a 2019 tax return.  If you were a non-resident alien then you cannot use TurboTax, but you can use the partner software Sprintax.

A 2019 tax return cannot be prepared or filed until early in 2020.  In order to pay for the software you need a U.S. based credit card.  If you are getting a tax refund from the IRS they will not make a direct deposit to a foreign bank account, but will mail a check to you in your country.  

NON RESIDENT ALIEN 

If you are a non-resident alien, your return must be filed on Form 1040NR, which cannot be prepared using TurboTax.  You can use TT’s partner, sprintax:

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

If in fact you are a U.S. citizen, then of course you can use TurboTax to file your 2019 tax return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901301-what-forms-of-payment-does-turbotax-online-accept

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
carlaolano
Returning Member

Hi, many thanks for your response.

Before I left the country I was a resident and even had a SSN. I was under an L-1 visa status.

Right now I'm in Spain already working for another company (I'm Spanish).

I still have an American account just in case.

Do you know if I'll be able to use TT to claim my Illinois and Federal tax return in 2020? If I'm getting a tax refund, will they email the check to my country's address?

Many thanks

You can use Turbotax for both federal and state if you meet the tests to be a resident alien for 2019. See this IRS article to determine whether you were a resident alien or not: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/determining-alien-tax-status.

If you are getting a refund, the IRS and state will mail you refund checks using the postal service. The refunds from federal and state come separately from different taxing authorities. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies