turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax refund for unemployment pay paid in 2020

I collected $14,000 in unemployment in 2020. My understanding is I am due a tax refund for the taxes I paid on $10,200 of that pay. I have never received my refund. I filed my 2020 taxes in February of this year. Is there anyway I can check the status of this refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

The most recent batch of unemployment refunds went out in late July 2021.   The IRS has not announced when the next batch will be sent out, but they are still working on them.

The IRS is recalculating refunds for people whose AGI is $150K or below and who filed before the tax law that changed the amount of unemployment that is taxable on a federal return became effective.   

The IRS began to send out the additional refund checks for tax withheld from unemployment in May.  The refunds are being sent out in batches—starting with the simplest returns first.   If you are eligible for the extra refund for federal tax that was withheld from your unemployment the IRS will be sending you an additional refund sometime during the next several months.  TurboTax cannot track or predict when it will be sent.  The IRS has not provided a way for you to track it, so all you can do is wait for the refund to arrive.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-get-the-new-unemployment-benefits-if-i-ve...

Please read this news from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-continues-unemployment-compensation-adjustments-prepares-another-1-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Some other factors are whether you had withholding from the unemployment, your tax status, your total income for 2020, and your number of dependents.

There are some people who did not actually pay tax on the $10,200 because they had no withholding and their standard deduction covered all taxes charged.

You will be refunded the taxes on the first $10,200 that you actually have paid.

Michele_H
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @overstdp  

First check and see if you need to file an amended return.   If this was included, the link listed below will help you determine if you need to file an amendment to include a credit that was not included on the original return.

Copy and Paste this link in your browser:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-continues-unemployment-compensation-adjustments-prepares-another-1-...

The IRS has said that payments will continue "throughout the summer," which means that unless we hear something else, payments could continue through September 22nd, possibly longer.   

Here is some information that may help you regarding payments for additional refund due:
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...
https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/am-i-eligible-for-the-new-unemployment-income-relief-49427...

If the reduction in taxable income did not result in additional refund due for all taxpayers. If you need help determining if you should be receiving extra funds, do not hesitate to reach out to our Live Help from your TurboTax home screen! One of our agents can take a look at your return and help you determine how much you should be expecting to receive.

If you would like to contact the IRS about the status of your refund, you can try these instructions:
The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The biological parent [ removed names]  my adopted children [removed names] names to fraudulently file her taxes using them as a dependent. Now I can't retrieve the money that is due to me because of this fraud she has committed. What do I need to do now to recover my stimulus money for my children?.

@Brianjoy092  If you are the custodial parent of some children that you should be able to claim on your own tax return, then you need to print, sign and mail your own tax return.   If someone else already claimed them and used their Social Security numbers you cannot e-file, but the IRS will process your mailed return that claims them.   Then they will sort out who could claim them by sending letters to both of you at a later time.  Be prepared to prove your right to claim the children at that time.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies