turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chelikashravan
Returning Member

Tax Paid to Missouri (including its political subdivisions, if any) on Double-Taxed Income

Hi All,

I live in Kansas and work in Missouri, I was doing the taxes using TurboTax and filled out the Missouri first and then while completing the Kansas state, there is a section 'Tax Paid to Missouri' and this shows the following :

Below are the amounts that transferred from your Missouri state return. These amounts represent the income you earned while a resident of Kansas that was taxed by both Missouri and Kansas. If the amounts are correct, leave the second column blank

Missouri Return Amount      Correct Amount

Double-Taxed Income                                                                                                                                            $XXXX
Tax Paid to Missouri(including its political subdivisions, if any) on Double-Taxed Income                       $XXXX

While, the "Double-Taxed Income" value is correct, I was wondering how the "Tax Paid to Missouri ((including its political subdivisions, if any) on Double-Taxed Income" is getting calculated based on the W2.

How do I verify this value given by the Turbo Tax software is correct against the W2?

Appreciate your valuable suggestions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Tax Paid to Missouri (including its political subdivisions, if any) on Double-Taxed Income

Hiya. I don't live in your neck of the woods, but I have done some multi-state returns for myself in the past (fun-fun). That said, I may not be understanding your question properly so please read my reply with a grain of salt. I am interpreting your query as, essentially, 'How does TurboTax know what local taxes I have paid to Missouri?'  Soooooo...        Looking at the W-2: Box 17 shows "State Income Tax", and Box 19 shows "Local Income Tax", and 20 shows the Locality (i.e., to whom box 19 is being paid).

Does that help?? Or did I miss out on the point of the question?  Good luck!

chelikashravan
Returning Member

Thank you for the response. Maybe I am not explaining it correctly.
While ,the Double taxed income is shown in W2 box 1, I am still confused how the "Tax Paid to Missouri(including its political subdivisions, if any) on Double-Taxed Income " value is being calculated in the software,I have tried subtracting W2 box 19 (Local income tax) from W2 box 17 (State Income Tax) ,but the amount doesn't match to the amount given by TurboTax software. Makes sense?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies