turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Form for a Retired American Citizen Living Permanently Abroad

My aunt is a retired American citizen (Dual Citizen of the Philippines) who is permanently residing in the Philippines. Her accountant files a 1040 Non Resident Alien tax form for her. Is this correct? I understand the non resident portion but she's an American citizen and not a Resident Alien.  Also, when I put her information in Turbo Tax, indicating that she lives year round in the Philippines, it uses the 1040 SR for her.  Which tax form is the correct one for her to use? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@raul_m , as an American citizen, where one lives , one files as a citizen i.e. form 1040 or 1040-SR.  She cannot file as a Non-Resident or as a Resident Alien -- your accountant is wrong.  Please follow TurboTax instructions -- she files a 1040-SR no matter where she lives ( permanently or otherwise ).

If you need more help on this please, let me what I can do for you or the help you need 

View solution in original post

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@raul_m , it should not matter -- US does not recognize dual- citizenship --- the tax laws view  her as just US citizen-- just like Philippines  probably would view her as a Philippine citizen ONLY.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@raul_m , as an American citizen, where one lives , one files as a citizen i.e. form 1040 or 1040-SR.  She cannot file as a Non-Resident or as a Resident Alien -- your accountant is wrong.  Please follow TurboTax instructions -- she files a 1040-SR no matter where she lives ( permanently or otherwise ).

If you need more help on this please, let me what I can do for you or the help you need 

Thanks for your help. That was very helpful. Just wanted to make sure that it wouldn’t matter that she’s a dual citizen of the US and the Philippines right, that is, she would still file the 1040-SR?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@raul_m , it should not matter -- US does not recognize dual- citizenship --- the tax laws view  her as just US citizen-- just like Philippines  probably would view her as a Philippine citizen ONLY.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies