turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RAK46

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Tax Extension

Used TurboTax Home/Business for 2017 and again in 2018. In January opted to file taxes by Feb 1st rather than paying est. taxes. However, will not have all the support forms necessary, specifically SSA1099, until after Feb1st. Should I file taxes without backup or file an extension?  If I file extension, which form should I use?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenL
Employee Tax Expert

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Tax Extension

You should wait to file your tax returns until you have all required forms. That said, there is no need to file any extension unless you cannot file by the due date of April 15, 2019.  If you need to file an extension, you would use Form 4868.  Please see this FAQ about How to File an Extenstion. 

Regarding any estimated tax payments, the IRS is a "pay-as-you-earn" system.  What that means is that each quarter, estimated tax payments are due (if not enough is withheld from W-2s or 1099s during the year) or there may be underpayment penalties and interest.  Filing an extension, and/or filing by Feb. 1st, doesn't prevent that if there is an underpayment of taxes owed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies