turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tax computation

as check computed tax = (accumulated tax from lower brackets) + bracket tax rate X (11b - lower bracket amount) where 11b is taxable income, 1040-SR.  I got $50 more than TurboTax prepared 1040-SR, line 12a. I used turbotax.intuit.com 2019 tax tables for Married.  Someone suggested a $50 tax credit, but I couldn't find one.  Any ideas why the $50 difference? For me, I was in the 3rd bracket where accumulated tax from lower brackets = 9806, rate = 0.22, and lower bracket bound = 78950.  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

tax computation

The tax tables are only one of seven different methods that can be used to calculate the tax, depending on what types of income you have and other things in your tax return. Your tax return may require one of the other methods. The most common reason that you cannot use the tax tables is that you have capital gains or qualified dividends.

In the IRS instructions for Form 1040, look at the instructions for line 12a on page 31. The seven methods are explained there.

tax computation

thanks. I have some small qualified dividends.  I'll look at the IRS instructions you referenced.  BTW, I ran thru a quick estimate w HR Block entering only ages, married joint, wages (lumped all sources together) and got the same taxes as I calculated using tables.  But like you mentioned I need to look into the IRS instructions for the discrepancy.  Thanks again.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

tax computation

@Frankenstein wrote:

I ran thru a quick estimate w HR Block entering only ages, married joint, wages (lumped all sources together) and got the same taxes as I calculated using tables.

But you didn't enter the qualified dividends separately? If you had done that, you would have gotten the same result as TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies