RocketJSquirrel

Suggestions for the Community

@RickG wrote:

So a follow-up question on this suggestion, how do you think something like that could be implemented, or where would you want to see that?  As like a catch all add on, or like each board has that link and only shows you that board's new items from the last time you visited? Or something else entirely?

I have never programmed a forum, so I can't answer "how to implement", but there are several different approaches all of which work fine for me.

Here's one example. This forum has a link for New Posts, and it shows all threads with posts since the last time I visited the forum:

newposts.png

This forum has a link for New Posts and also for New Threads which were created since my last visit:

newposts2.png

Here's a different way. On this forum, I have subscribed to a number of threads. When I go to my Subscribed Threads page, it shows threads with posts I haven't yet read.

newposts3.png

RickG

Suggestions for the Community

Ok, cool!  Thanks for the clarification and screenshots, it's super helpful.

macuser_22

Suggestions for the Community

@RickG - Is there any way to turn off notifications "cheering" and accepting an answer but keep them for new comments.     I couldn't care less about "cheering" but I do wan to know if there is a new reply.   It is a waste of time to have to look at notifications only to find out that someone "cheered" a 6 month old post.

If there is no way to do that then I would suggest a new feature to customize notifications.

RickG

Suggestions for the Community

@macuser_22 

I've checked several of the settings options and there does not appear to be an option for that.  But it would definitely be a good option to implement.

RickG

Suggestions for the Community

@macuser_22 

I got a second pair of eyes on your question and we were able to find that the option is there, it's just under the term "Kudos".  If you go into your settings and go to "Subscription and Notifications" there's an option about two-thirds down the page for "Kudos Settings" and you can change the settings in the drop-down to the right.  you can turn it off, or get daily/weekly notifications.

Kudos Settings.jpgKudos Settings 2.png

macuser_22

Suggestions for the Community

Ah-so!!   Thank you.  I will try that.

macuser_22

Suggestions for the Community

@RickG - it did not work.  I set it to "never" yesterday and today I am still receiving "cheers".

Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 4.09.59 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-12-24 at 4.09.12 PM.jpg

tagteam

Suggestions for the Community

@macuser_22 

If you read the heading, it appears that setting is strictly for notifications via email. 

I suspect you have to turn off certain notifications under the general heading.

macuser_22

Suggestions for the Community

So it appears that there is no way to turn off the pop-up cheers notification without turning off all notifications - just as I first thought.

It is the pop-up cheers notification  I want to turn off so I would still like to see that as an added feature.  It takes too much time to see that I have a notification, to load the page, only to see a "cheers" that I couldn't not care less to see, but I do want to be notified if there is a new reply.

(I don't receive e-mail notifications at all - I have all e-mail turned off).

RickG

Suggestions for the Community

I did some testing on my end and I overlooked the fact that this is for email notifications.  It's still a great idea, so we will for sure hold onto it as a possible future enhancement.  Apologies for the confusion.

pjn

Suggestions for the Community

User friendly instructions on how to post. Very rarely I do post, and perhaps that was the reason that I could not find immediate instructions on how and where to post a question. 

rootsmusic

Suggestions for the Community

rootsmusic

Suggestions for the Community

rootsmusic

Suggestions for the Community

MonicaM

Suggestions for the Community

Thank you for your suggestions and feedback!