turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus money and 1040

It is my understanding that the stimulus money we received is not considered "income" so am I correct in assuming that we do not report it at all?  I did not see any questions in the TT "interview" regarding the stimulus.  Do we just not report it at all? 

Thanks in advance for sage replies.  I am sure this has been asked, but I didn't see the specific question.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Stimulus money and 1040

That is correct- you do not need to report anything about stimulus money you received UNLESS you did not receive the stimulus payments.  If you did not receive any or all of the stimulus, you can claim the Recovery Rebate Payment with your 2020 tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Stimulus money and 1040

When you prepare your 2020 return you are supposed to enter the stimulus amounts you already received in the recovery rebate credit section so that you do not end up "double dipping" and getting the payments twice or have your refund delayed while the IRS has to cross check to see if you got it.

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st and 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

The stimulus money you received is NOT TAXABLE.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Stimulus money and 1040

That is correct- you do not need to report anything about stimulus money you received UNLESS you did not receive the stimulus payments.  If you did not receive any or all of the stimulus, you can claim the Recovery Rebate Payment with your 2020 tax return.

Stimulus money and 1040

Thank you very much for your prompt response!  I so appreciate this forum!

Stimulus money and 1040

We did receive all appropriate stimulus money.  So according to what I understand I do not report anything on my tax form.  That would only be if I didn't receive it.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Stimulus money and 1040

When you get to the stimulus question, you will want to answer them.  If you don't it will force the Recovery Rebate Credit.  You are just reconciling the amounts you received as correct by entering them in TurboTax.  This will not appear on your return anywhere.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies