Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cpund97
Returning Member

State tax refund amount imported does not match last year's TT amount

I am working on filing my 2019 taxes. My 2018 state tax refund amount (imported or calculated by TT  - I did not enter it) does not match the refund amount received in 2019. I am trying to figure out if I should override it. I received no 1099-G. The refund I received in 2019 matches the amount that was calculated by TT 2018. Is there any reason why TT 2019 would import or calculate a different refund than was filed and received in 2019? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

First many state require you to get the 1099-G from their websites as they are no longer mailing them out. 

Next, if you itemized last year AND  your Sch A deductions were limited by the SALT act then the program computes the correct taxable state refund which means not all of it may be taxable like in the years prior to 2018.  Save a PDF with the worksheets to see how this is calculated.   Do NOT override any computed amount unless you know it to be incorrect. 

To view your entire return using the online editions (including the state) before you file, you will need to pay for your online account.

To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card, without completing the 2019 return at this time, click on Tax Tools >>> Tools  and then Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Continue.  On the next screen it will ask if you want Audit Defense, if you do not want this option just click on the Continue button.  The next screen will ask for all your credit card information so you can pay for the account.

Another couple reasons it might not match:

1)  IF you made any check-off donations from your state refund, then those donated $$ are added back the amount you actually received (but the donations should show up in the 2019 charity donations section).  The full refund amount prior to the check-off donation is used.

2)  IF you applied part of your 2018 state refund as a pre-payment for 2019 state taxes, then those $$ are added back too.  The full refund amount prior to the applied payment is used...then the applied state tax payment is a separate entry in the software

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
cpund97
Returning Member

Thank you. I obtained my 1099-G from the state website, and it matches the amount received.  I was subject to the SALT cap deduction last year, so this is plausible, however the "Tell us about your refund" section asks for the "total amount received" which would be what matches the 1099-G, the actual amount received, and TT 2018. The pre-filled amount in this field is $2k less than the 1099-G. I am inclined to correct this input and let TT calculate if it needs to be adjusted going forward. I suspect TT wouldn't adjust the amount received at the input stage but rather would do so after the input stage using all available info.

cpund97
Returning Member

Thank you, Steamtrain. Neither of these scenarios apply to me. Both appear to inflate the refund amount, but the pre-filled input for my refund makes it appear to be reduced. 

cpund97
Returning Member

Upon reviewing my 2018 state filing, I think I see what TT did in pre-filling the tax refund amount: The number entered is the difference between the overpayment and the pass-through entity tax credit. Whether that's the correct amount for "Total refund received in 2019," I don't know. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies