Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

So me and my boyfriend have a child I the mother claim him as my dependent the father does a tax credit for him but I was told by the irs this year we both cant have his social security on both for

Forms but I'm claiming him and my boyfriend isn't so
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

So me and my boyfriend have a child I the mother claim him as my dependent the father does a tax credit for him but I was told by the irs this year we both cant have his social security on both for

If you and he are both living in the same household, then only one of you can claim the child as a dependent on their tax return.  The other person does not enter the child at all on their tax return.

If all of you live together then only ONE of you can claim the child on your tax return.  So if you already claimed the child, BF has to take the child off his return.  The ONE who is claiming the child gets all the child-related credits on their return.  How or if  you share that between you is up to you when you get your refund.

If one of you earned a lot more than the other then that is usually who should claim the child.  The one who claims the child can also file as Head of Household if they pay over half the costs of the household.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies