turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fakedevil
Returning Member

Should I send 8453 +8949 + 1099b or amend our return?

I just realized my original return form 8949 is missing some information and so TT is saying I need to physically mail in 8453 + 8949 + 1099b for the details (it was missing the dates acquired and sold)

My question is, would it be better for me to amend my return to add those dates? Or just physically mail those forms? And also, is this the reason there is a delay in IRS taking my tax balance?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

The IRS requires you to mail Forms 8453, 8949 and your 1099-B if you summarized your transactions in TurboTax.

If your tax return was accepted by the IRS, they will be looking for those forms so you should mail them.

If you want to change any information, amend your return. Your Forms 8949 and 1099-B should have all the dates the IRS needs as long as they were on the 1099-B and accompanying detail. If the dates were missing on the 1099-B that you are sending, amend your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
fakedevil
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply!!

So the IRS has already accepted my initial tax return. The only amendment I would make is to add the dates that was initially missing. 

Given that they already accepted the return, its probably easier if I just send the 8453 + 8949 from my initial turbotax tax return and add the 1099-B for only the stocks that are missing the date right? Or would I have to include all my 1099-B for all the stocks? (i have different stock accounts thus I have several 1099-B)

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Correct. Just send the Forms 8453 and 8949 from my initial TurboTax return and add the 1099-B for the stocks with the missing dates. Your broker would have reported the others. Or you can send everything and let the IRS figure it out.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies